Chapter 8: Telling Them the Truth

“Good evening everyone! I hope you all enjoyed your Christmas holidays.” 

At this point, Hermione glanced across the room, making sure no one saw. Draco was staring at her direction too. They grinned quickly, before turning back.

“It is heartbreaking to announce, that our lovely Arithmancy professor, Professor Vector, announced to retire on the last week before the Christmas holidays. I am sure that she has told her lovely Arithmancy students. So I am very pleased to announce our new Hogwarts professor. Professor Elaine Ebonsky!”

A loud cheer and applause erupted from the Great Hall, as Elaine stood up.

“It’s great to be back at Hogwarts! I left Hogwarts just a few years ago. I hope that you and I will all be very great friends. If you have any problems, please do not hesitate to come to me. I will be very happy to help you out. If you have any questions, I will give you best answers. Thank you!” The applause erupted again, and Hermione was one of the loudest of all.

At the end of the feast, Hermione hung back with Harry, Ron and Ginny, waiting for Elaine.

“That was a brilliant speech!”

“Thanks! I was quite nervous.”

“It went brilliantly! I have to more friends to introduce you to. Ron and Ginny Weasley.”

“Hello! Hey, weren’t you the one who was taken into the Chamber?” she asked Ginny.

Ginny’s face turned just as red as her hair.

“Yeah,” she mumbled really quietly.

“I think that you were perfectly brave. There is no need to be embarrassed,” Elaine said in a slightly pompous manner.

“Thank you, Professor Ebonsky.”

“Call me Elaine. I feel really awkward getting called that.”

“Okay!”

“I think you guys need to go to bed now, I don’ t to take points off you guys on the first day back from the Christmas!” Her face transformed into a strict expression.

“Okay! Goodnight!”

“See you tommorrow!”

Ginny and Ron went towards the Grand Staircases, whilst Harry and Hermione went into the portrait room, to their dorm.

Fernream Gasfeam. Professor McGonagall told me,” Hermione said knowingly. “Well, goodnight Harry, see you tomorrow.”

“Night!”

Hermione walked into her spacious room. Since the start of the school year, she had never slept somewhere else. She loved this room. With the lovely soft bed to sleep on,the giant walk-in-robe for all her clothes, the big study desk to put her school books on, the very high bookcase that reached the ceiling for her large supply of books, the comfy sofa to read on and the white marbled bathroom with a large spa to relax in. 

Hermione tied her hair in a loose bun, and had a quick shower. Then she got into bed with Beyond the Darkest Magic. If Voldemort was searching for Harry, she, Hermione Granger, as Harry Potter’s best friend, will have to know about Dark magic and help Harry.  The minute she read the first paragraph, she was absorbed into the book.

(*)

“Harry, you look dreadful! What happened?”

“I stayed up late studying for our NEWTs; it’s only a week away. I need to study hard to become an auror.”