Chapter 6: Forgiveness and Letters

Hermione awoke, and found herself still in the dress robes she was wearing last night. Ginny was sleeping deeply in Hermione’s couch. Hermione got up and tiptoed to her closet, walking the carefully, trying not to wake Ginny. Unfortunately, she accidently bumped her knee on the post of her bed. It would have alright if she hadn’t howled in pain.

“Huh? Hermione? What happened?”

“No, no, I’m fine! I just accidentally bumped my knee.”

“Oh, I thought there had been an attack or something!” 

“Sorry!”

“Come on, let’s go and have some breakfast.”

They go dressed, and went out to the Great Hall. By the time the post owls had already arrived, Ginny had stuffed herself with toast. An owl landed in front of Ginny, and stuck out its leg. Hermione got the letter off the leg and handed it to Ginny. Ginny swallowed and opened it. Her eyes scanned the letter and groaned. 

“What’s up?”

“Here,” she handed Hermione the parchment.

Dear Ginny, 

I believe that the Christmas Ball has passed, and that there would still be some days left of the Christmas holidays. Can you please come back for the Christmas holidays?

Mum

“So, are you going home?”

“Well, I’ll have to. I’m sorry Hermione. I really want to stay with you, you know. But when mum says she wants me to go back, she means it. I don’t want to die of young age!”

“Er, I get the message.”

(*)

Hermione walked aimlessly around the corridors. Ginny left in the morning, so now she had no one to talk to. It was really boring, so she decided to go to her favourite place- the library. She turned the corner, and shivered. This was one of the gloomiest corridors in Hogwarts.

“Arghhhhh!” 

She screamed because someone grabbed her arm. The person who grabbed her slapped a hand over her mouth.

“Shhhhh!”

It was Malfoy.

“What do you want this time Malfoy?”

“Look, I didn’t mean to kiss you at the ball. It’s just that I was really frustrated that you didn’t want to dance with me.”

“Yeah, likely story.”

She tried to tug his arms off her, but was unsuccessful. 

“Please! Can you please forgive me?”

“Fat chance,” she said.

“Please!” his voice was sounding desperate. “I really want you to forgive me.”

“Yeah, forgive you? You’re dreaming.”

“Look, I know you hate me for calling you a mudblood, and the other things I’ve called you. I’ve been a downright git.” Finishing his sentence, he punched himself. “I really want you to forgive me. I didn’t mean to you know, the others sort forced me.”

“You expect me to believe you?”

“I swear I didn’t want to. I, Draco Malfoy, swear to Hermione Granger, that I had no intention of calling her names.”