Clean Your Plate

INT. RED ROVER RESTURANT—DAY

Three men in their early 20s and one woman in her early 20s sit at a table waiting for their food. In a blink of an eye, a plate with a hamburger and fries appears before one of the males, DANNY. A plate containing a fish sandwich appears before the second male, BRAIN. A plate filled with pancakes, along with a syrup bottle, appears before the last male, JOE. A bowl of salad and a plate with a ham sandwich and chips appears before the woman, SALLY.

Joe pours syrup onto the pancakes.

DANNY

Hiring Hyper as a server was a genius move. Her hypertime power gives new meaning to "fast food."

JOE

She might have been a foe of mine, but she wasn't a villain.

Joe takes a moment to glance over at HYPER, a young woman dressed in pink and also the restaurant's uniform—a purple vest. She is refilling a customer's drink. Once finished, she vanishes in a blur of speed.

JOE

It can be tough for someone who's been labeled a supervillain to find work after serving their time.

SALLY

I think this would make a great story. We just got done with a report on how many ex-supervillains return to crime because they can't readjust. I just have to pitch it to the WAG News overlords.

Joe pushes his empty, except for a blob of syrup, plate away and shifts into a comfortable position. A second later, an older woman, Joe's MOTHER, exits the kitchen.

MOTHER

Joel Tobias Rover!

DANNY

Uh-oh. Full name.

Danny slides further down into his chair trying to hide. Joe's mother approaches the table.

MOTHER

Are you going to leave that syrup on your plate?

Joe glances at the plate.

JOE

Uh...

MOTHER

Do you know how many Canadians died so that you could get that syrup? It takes weeks of them fighting off weasel bats every night just to get a couple pints of the stuff. And then the truck drivers have to avoid syrup bandits while driving along long, war-abandoned roads.

JOE

Sorry. I'll finish it.

MOTHER (RUFFLING JOE'S HAIR)

That's a good boy. And once you're done with that, you can help out by throwing away those 200 hot dogs a customer bought then decided he didn't like.

END