Chapter 6: Road of Hope

--

Last time: Scar, the man who was responsible for killing a string of state alchemists, came after Edward Elric. Ed was ready to accept death at Scar's hand, but thanks to the intervention of Colonel Mustang and the military, Ed was able to escape with his life. Ed, Al and [Name], realising the joy of being alive were once again determined to survive and move forward. They decided to return to their home in Resembool to seek help in restoring their bodies.

--

You all looked at Armstrong as he sniffed, tears streaming down his face. Before any of you had time to say anything, Armstrong took Edward into his arms, hugging him so tightly, you could practically hear Ed's bones pop and crack. "OH, EDWARD ELRIC! I'VE HEARD SO MUCH ABOUT YOU!" He said, letting go of the poor alchemist. "The pure love that led you to try to resurrect your dead mother! The brotherly love that made you risk your own life to bring back your younger brother's soul! I AM SO MOVED!" He said as Ed kicked the man in the face before Armstrong could go in for another bone-crushing hug. That however, didn't stop him from pulling you into one of his hugs.

"The want to protect your friend, despite being powerless just like him! Going so far as to leaving him behind to study in a different country! And promising to return to him as soon as you master alchemy! YOUR CARE FOR HIM IS SO BEAUTIFUL AND TRAGIC!"

"Uh... So who told him all about us, Colonel?" Edward asked, his anger clearly visible.

"Well... When the Major is leaning on you, it's hard not to tell him what he wants..." Roy said,

"Knowing the details of your pasts..." Armstrong said, having released you from his iron grip. "... That's why I've decided to escort you on your trip to your trip to your engineer!"

"HUH?!" You and Ed yelled out at the same time.

"You must be crazy! I don't need a guard!" Ed said before being interrupted by Riza.

"Edward. You're planning to travel around in that state when Scar could attack you at any moment?" Riza scolded him. "Of course we're going to assign a guard to you. Otherwise you'd be totally defenceless. [Name] might not have taken damage in that battle, but she alone won't be enough to protect both you and Alphonse."

"Plus, with your arm the way it is, you won't be able to carry Al either." Havoc pointed out, reminding you of the fact that for now, Al couldn't stand up, let alone walk.

"But it doesn't have to be the Major!" Ed said, hoping that anyone else would come with them. Unfortunately, the others had other plans.

"I got a ton of work waiting for me back in Central."

"I can't leave the East Headquarters."

"I'm too busy babysitting the Colonel. Someone has to keep him in line."

"I don't think I can protect you from someone that dangerous."

"Our thoughts exactly."

Said Hughes, Mustang, Hawkeye, Havoc and Breda, Furey and Falman in that order. "So it's decided!" Armstrong said, patting Edward on the head, only to get yelled at by an angry alchemist, yelling that nothing has been "decided". "Now, you children... Please listen to your elders."

"Don't treat me like a kid!" Ed yelled in Armstrong's face. "Why you...Hey Al, [Name]! Are you going to take that?!"

"Well, we are under 18, so, legally, we are children." You pointed out.

"Oh, Ed!" Al said, sparkles in his eyes. "This is the first time someone's treated me like a kid since my body became armor!"

"If you still plan on making a fuss, would you prefer to be court martialed for disobeying orders?" Roy asked, an evil smirk on his face, as he sat behind his desk like a villain.