Chapter 11: Separate Destinations

--

You stared at the various papers on the table in front of you. From sketches to text documents that summarized the events, those papers held all the information you gathered from the Fifth Laboratory. Luckily, Armstrong and Hughes had come to help you guys understand what you were dealing with.

"And after I was kicked by this guy, I don't remember anything." Ed finished his side of the story, holding up a rather goofily drawn picture of Envy.

"What about you?" Hughes asked, turning his gaze towards you. "Did you get any more information?"

"No. That 'Envy' guy hit me in the throat almost immediately after he kneed Ed in the stomach and I passed out." You recalled what happened. If only it wasn't for that explosion that leveled the whole building, you could go there and search for more clues. So for the time being, you'd have to work with what you had.

Unfortunately, all you had were a bunch of loose threads that you knew were connected, but you couldn't figure out how they were connected. And no matter how much you all wracked your brains, you couldn't figure out this mystery.

--

Meanwhile, outside of the hospital room, Ross and Brosh stood guard, making sure no one would intrude or listen in on your conversation. However, that didn't stop Brosh from pressing his ear against the wall, hoping to hear the conversation. "They're talking about something really complicated."

"I don't want to get involved in any more dangerous business, so I'm not listening!" Ross said, plugging her ears.

Their conversation was halted by a new person. "Oh, you people. Is this the Fullmetal Alchemist's room?"

"Yes. The Steel Arm Alchemist has been moved here as well-"

As soon as they looked who this person was, they stared in shock.

--

"Excuse me."

You nearly choked on your own spit when you looked at who just came through the door. There was no way you could mistake that man for anyone else. Not with that mustache and eyepatch.

"Fuhrer King Bradley!"

"Ah, be quiet. This is just an informal visit." Armstrong did as he was told. Who could blame him, afterall, who would be crazy enough to oppose the Fuhrer himself, especially when he was right in front of them.

"Mr. President, why have you come to a place like this..." Hughes asked as you all bowed your heads in respect.

"Why... To drop off a get well present. Do you hate melons?" Bradley said hading Edward the round fruit.

"Ah... Thank you." Ed could only let out a awkward answer.

Bradley's eye turned to the papers on the small desk. "It seems you've done a bit of investigating on the military brass, Major."

Oh no. You gulped. You better choose your words carefully, otherwise this could lead to some real trouble.

"Wha?! Ah... No, I mean..." Armstrong sammered, trying to find the right words. "How did you..."

"Don't take my intelligence network lightly. And Edward Elric and [Name] [Last name]." He then set his sights away from the Major, his voice far more serious and intimidating than before. "The "Philosopher's Stone" was it? How much do you know? Depending on the situation..."

The air was thick, so much so you could likely cut it with a knife, and the Fuhrer's sudden change in aura didn't help. It was as if his stare alone could kill you and somewhere deep down you knew he wouldn't hesitate to do so. This was the most powerful man in the entire country; he could make or unmake you in an instant. And there was no doubt that he could make it look like an act of treason, an accident, or cover it up like it never happened.