Aunt Josephine

Selena's P.O.V

We all got off the ferry named 'The Fickle Ferry' we had taken to reach this gloomy looking place

We all got off the ferry named 'The Fickle Ferry' we had taken to reach this gloomy looking place. I looked around the dock and stuck close to my friends so I wouldn't get lost.

"Yeah children. Deemo... Dimmo, Duddydamo, Democlay... Dimoclath... Dimoclat...Demcaca Dick....?" Mr. Poe listed off a bunch of random names trying to read a nearby sign.* Sigh* this man.

"It's pronounced Damocles after the apocryphal figure in Sicilian mythology." Klaus corrected him.

"Well I don't have time to learn things, the banking day has already begun. In any case I'm sure you'll be off on some exciting adventure with your new guardian. Remember you can always rely on us at Mulctuary Money Management. Now if you'll excuse me, I'll leave you alone in this mostly deserted place to await your taxi to your Aunt Josephine's house." Mr. Poe breathed out fixing his signature suit.

"Strangely she said she would be unable to come to the dock and I didn't think it would be polite to ask why. Perhaps she's planning a surprise party for you children. Which reminds me, I know you must have had a frightening and mystifying time with that horrible man, what...um....Count...what's his name...?" Mr. Poe continued to babble on.

"Olaf." I reminded him.

"Olaf, who knows where he came from." Mr. Poe said in disdain.

"You put us in his care." Klaus said pointedly.

"I wouldn't exactly call it care. He's a thief, a murderer and so far has completely escaped capture. But I have the thing that just might turn things around." He said before pulling out a paper bag.

"Peppermints, delicious peppermints! My favorite candy when I was a boy. You can eat them in the taxi on the way to meet your dowager Aunt." Mr. Poe said in a cheery voice. He shoved the bag into Violet's hands.

Oh, I do like mints!

"What's that?" Violet asked.

"Oh Violet! I'm surprised that you, a girl your age, should know that a taxi is a car that takes you someplace for a reasonable fee." Mr. Poe said and pulled from his pocket some cash. He placed it in my hand.

"And this is about to cover it. Cheers Baudelaires and Strauss! Good luck." Mr. Poe said coughing a bit and bid us goodbye as he got back on the ferry.

We waved back and turned back to the task that was now presented to us.

"Dowager is a fancy word for widow." Klaus answered Violet.

"Thank you." She responded.

"Should we have told him about our allergy to peppermints?" Klaus asked Violet and Sunny. I turned to them shocked.

"You can't eat peppermints!? That's so sad." I said feeling sorry for them. They all nodded.

"But I'll take these anyways. Better off saving them than putting them to waste. I do have a substitute for you though." I said and took them from Violet, putting them into my bag. I pulled out a pack of strawberry twizzlers and showed it to them.