Escape Plans

Selena's P

Selena's P.O.V

"We're screwed," I said flinging my arms up. Why the hell does he follow us wherever we go! I mean come on! How big is this fortune? I don't even like him. Thirsty money-loving piece of-

"Who can't be beat?!"

"A dead horse!"

"Who can't be beat!"

"A dead horse!"

My thoughts were immediately thrown off by the cheers of students as Count Olaf rode the horse mascot with that poop-eating grin plastered on my face.

"Our particular school is better than others!" the students chanted and cheered. Get a load of this balcony. Julliard and Oxford must not exist in their opinions.

"I love the energy. I love it!" Olaf said in his fake accent. Everyone clapped and cheered as he stood there with his arms folded.

"Okay everyone, settle down." Vice-principal Nero cut in.

"Settle down? Did you hear what Vice-principal Shapero just said?" he said nonchalantly. The smile on Nero's face quickly disappeared.

"Nero."

"Settle down." Olaf continued, ignoring him. His face turned into a disapproving sneer as he faced us.

"How often I hear those words come out of people's ears and into my mouth. Settle a word which means 'settling for less' and 'down' my personal least favorite direction. Let me tell you a story. Some years ago, a woman came to me. She needed my help. "Coach Genghis," she said to me, " I'm a failure. I have no job. My love life is in the pits. I can't seem to lose these last twenty pounds. I bet this describes about every one of you, am I right?" he said.

Everyone glanced around in confusion. I looked at Arlo with raised eyebrows and he shrugged.

"Um, they're schoolchildren." Nero piped in.

"Exactly. And what did I say to her? Do you think I told her to settle down?" he asked shaking his head in exaggeration.

Everyone was silent and a few people mumbled lowly.

"Answer me pippity-squeaks! Do-you-think-I-told-her-to......settle down?" he enunciated. The hell?

"Probably not!" Carmelita yelled.

"Probably not!" the students chanted. We sat there silently feeling uncomfortable. We have to do something, a murderer is on the freaking school grounds and apparently everyone but us is falling fo his stupid disguise.

"Probably not indeed. I told her to stand up. I told her to actualize and incentivize," he slowly began making his way off the stage, "I told her to keep her eyes in the clouds and her feet on the stars. Do-you-know-what-happened?" he enunciated and stopped at our row. We stared him down.