The People Of Walmart

That night, we didn't find a motel, but I could tell by the way Steve was driving that we were going somewhere.

"So what are we doing tonight?" Eli asked. "I don't think a motel is gonna be out here."

"There's a place I know near here," Steve replied. "Somewhere I've been before."

I leaned over the driver's seat. "You've lived here before?"

"Eh," He shifted in his seat a little. "Never actually lived here - but I did use to visit every summer. I'm pretty sure I can still find my way around."

The sun had set completely over the horizon when we pulled in front of the abandoned Walmart. The parking lot was barren and empty, looking creepy and surreal in the dark. I could see emergency lights on inside, but no movement. Something didn't feel quite right about the place, then again, that might just be nerves from what happened last time Krel and I went into an abandoned store.

I glanced over at him, catching the same look.

"It looks like it popped out of a horror movie," Eli said.

"At least it'll be warm," Steve replied. "Besides, we need a serious refill on essentials."

So in we went, Krel and I giving each other uneasy looks as we followed Eli and Steve through a busted door. Stopping in the clothing section, Steve handed each of us a laundry basket.

"Just grab whatever we're gonna need," He shrugged.

Krel raised an eyebrow. "Nothing particular comes to mind?"

"You guys are smart," He replied. "Figure it out."

The majority of the store had been picked clean, but there was still a few salvageable items. Krel and I wandered along the isles, grabbing things like toothpaste, soap, even a package of water bottles.

I ran a finger through the dust collected on the plastic. ""Water doesn't expire, does it?"

When we crossed paths again, Eli had a ridiculously oversized sweater tugged over his head and Steve had a whole mountain of dried fruits in his basket.

"Oh, Aja," Steve pulled something from his basket, tossing it into mine. "Found these, thought you might, uh, want them . . . or something."

I set my basket down, seeing the pair of red converse he'd thrown in. I felt the smile grow on my face, lifting the shoes from the bin. "Lively," I said. "Thanks."

Steve beamed.

They weren't a perfect fit, but they were close enough. I guess Steve was right, I did need socks. With my new shoes secured to my feet, I picked up my white slip-ons and chucked them over my shoulder, not bothering to see where they landed.

It was all behind me now.

"Hey, Aja!" Krel called from several isles over. "Look what I found!"

I rounded the corner, finding him holding what looked like a square of red plastic.

"Is that a DS?" I asked.

"Yes," He said. "I mean, the circuit board is busted, but I think I could get it fixed."

"I think you could too," I replied, ruffling his hair and heading back to my basket.

"Oh, before you run off, I got something for you too."

I pivoted back around. "Yes?"

He reached into his bin and pulled out a purple box of tampons. He tossed it to me, giving me a knowing smile. "Just make sure you hide it this time."