Chapter 2

School was over. Thank god. I was ready to get home. School sometimes felt like a big long scab you slowly pulled off because it hurt so bad.

I meet Beth out our lockers. "Beth, I am dying."

She looked from her locker to me. "You look very much alive to me."

"I won't be for long if we stay here one second." I put my hands around my neck acting like I was choking, slowly making my way to the floor. I laid there until Beth closed her locker.

She looked down at me. "Come on drama queen. Let's get out of here before you die from the school air."

I jumped up. "Yes! Success!"

As we walked by all the lockers, I caught sight of Gus. He looked from the Andrew, the star soccer player, to me. He gave that crooked smile. I blushed smiling back.

Beth bumped my arm. "Look at that, only here for a day and already getting invited to a party by you dick king himself."

"He just has luck on his side, I guess." I pushed the doors open to go out.

Beth scoffed. "Yeah, he is gorgeous and wears designer. That is why. He seems like he will fit in with them."

"We wear designer." I nudged her.

"We wear punk, edge, and gothic designer. Opposite of fuckboy designer." Beth put her beanie on.

I tucked my hair inside my hood. "Well, he has edge. Motorcycle bad boy edge."

"Still not the same. People look at us and think we are freaks. People look at him and think he is cool." We stopped at the corner of North Street.

I shook my head and hugged her. "I will see you tonight my freak friend."

She laughed. "Ditto."

I watched her walk away. There was something about seeing someone walk away from you. It seemed poetic at times. Like they were leaving and never coming back. Or going towards a brighter future. Maybe even going into a void. Yes, defiantly poetic.

I put my headphones on my ears. They were cool to the touch from the fall breeze. Just like my nose. Cool to the touch but red. I watched the leaves fall as I walked back home. The sky was gray but not in a gloomy state. I could smell the cold wet air. Mixed with the fire wood burning. I loved that smell.

I was almost home when a hand grabbed my shoulder. I done the only thing I knew to do. I pinched the hand, hard.

"Fuck!" I turned around to see Gus holding his hand.

I quickly took my headphones off. "I am so sorry. I thought you were..."

"What? A kidnapper. Killer. Hardly." He clenched his jaw.

I ran a hand over my face. "I am really sorry Gus."

He shook his hand. There was a bit of blood beginning to clot. "It is okay. I guess I deserved it. I shouldn't have sneak up on you like that."

I grimaced. "Come to my place and I will help you with your hand."

There was that crooked smile again. "Sure. That's the least you could do since you made me bleed."

I bit my lip catching up to him. We walked until we stood in front of my house. "So, here we are. This is me."

"Alright." He looked around me to the house next door.

I looked behind me. "New people. They arrived last night. I think they may have an annoying teenage guy. I could hear his music all night."

Just then a man stepped out of the house. "Gus! I told you to be home at three thirty. It is five minutes past."