Chapter 13

As soon as it hit three o'clock, I took off to my house. I ran the whole way. I put my things away and then ran back to the corner of North Street to wait on Gus.

I sat there waiting. I waited for thirty minutes before Gus showed up. I stood up to greet him. "Hey."

He shoved his hands in his pockets. "Are you sure about this?"

"I have to know the truth Gus. If it is happening, maybe I can help." I felt tears pricking my eyes.

Gus held out his hand. "Let's go check on her."

I stopped in front of her house. "Stay here. I have to do this by myself."

I left Gus going up to Beth's door. I knocked. I heard walking then the door opened. It was Mrs. Nash. "Hello Mrs. Nash. Is Beth in?"

"No." She looked mad.

"Um, can you tell her I stopped by when she gets in?" I shifted to my weight on my left foot, anxious.

Her mom put her nose in the air. "Why should I? You hurt her."

I bit my lip. "I am sorry. I never meant to hurt her. Please just tell her I stopped by. I would really like to talk to her."

Mrs. Nash rolled her eyes agitated. "Fine. Goodbye Estella."

"Bye, Mrs. Nash." I turned around and walked back to where Gus stood.

I walked pass him turning towards him. "She wasn't home."

"Maybe you can try again tomorrow." I looked from him to Beth's window. I saw the curtains move.

"Wait a minute." I walked back up to Mrs. Nash's door. I knocked. No one was answer. Then I started pounding on it. Still no one answered it.

I walked out into their yard. I looked up at Beth's window. "I know you are in there Beth. I am sorry. All I want to do is talk. Please come by. Or I can come by tomorrow."

"E, come on. Let's go. She doesn't want to talk." Gus was still standing on the sidewalk.

I wiped away the tears, walking pass Gus. "Estella, wait up."

I started to run. "E!"

I heard Gus yelling from behind me. I couldn't stop from running. I ran with Gus right behind me. When I got to my steps, I stopped and sat down.

"She hates me Gus." I still had tears in my eyes.

Gus sat down. "I don't think she hates you. I think she's in love with you and jealous. Just like she was with Katie."

"I wish I had my cat. My cat made me feel better." I laid my head on Gus's shoulder.

He put an arm around me. "What happened to your cat?"

"He was killed. Beth found him a couple of weeks back." Just then Gus's arm tightened around me.

I looked at him. "What? What's wrong?"

"I didn't tell you this because I didn't want it to scare you." He let go of me getting up.

"Tell me what Gus?" I sat there looking at him going back and forth in front of me.

He stopped and looked at me. "Beth killed Katie's dog when they were friends again. One of the kids saw her do it and told Katie. Things started getting bad after that. One of them told me, that they saw Beth writing down how she was going to murder Katie."

"That's crazy Gus. There is no way. Beth wouldn't harm anyone." I scoffed.

He just looked at me. "Think about it E. Think about everything that has happened. Things she has done. Things that have happened since you got around her. I bet she has all this worship the devil stuff in her room and likes to read and look at murders and suicides. At least that is what I read on others who were like her."

My mind was running wild. I was thinking about all of it. Then my hand covered my mouth to control the sobs. "Gus, it's all the same."

Gus sat down again. "You have to stay away from her. Are you parent's going to be home this weekend?"

"Yeah, we are all hanging out before they leave next week for London." I held my head between my hands.

Gus took a deep breath and let it out. "Okay. Next week is fall break. What are you going to do? You can't stay by yourself."

"I have no choice. I have to look after the house." I glanced over at him.

He rubbed his hands together. "Then I am staying with you all week. If anything happens, I will be there."

"Alright." Gus and I stayed there for a bit in silence before my mom came out to get me for dinner.