Chapter II 'Aprenticeship'

Is it dawn already?  Silverkit stretched. I must have had a lot of fun last night if i'm this tired!  Silverkit sat down and looked over at Cloudkit and Sparrowkit. They were more energetic then they were last night! Silverkit padded over to her littermates to find that they were fast asleep. Silverkit smiled and bounded over to Iceflame with a large squeal. She leaped on her back and raked her paws on Iceflame's scruff. "I will kill you, you big mean badger!" Iceflame growled sweetly at Silverkit. "Not if I eat you first!" Silverkit squealed as Iceflame lunged toward her neck.

Silverkit was about to swipe her on the nose when she heard yowl from across the clearing. "All cats old enough to catch their own prey come here for a clan meeting!" Berrykit and Ashkit yawned as they rose to run into the clearing. Sparrowkit's ears pricked and Cloudkit's eyes gleamed. Onefoot wobbled out of the warriors den. While Lilypetal sat outside of the medicine den, every once in a while glancing inside. Sharpfang had a deep scratch along his back from a recent attack from badgers, Lilypetal told him to rest in the medicine den till he had his strength back.

About everyone was in the clearing as the meeting began. Silverkit ran up to sit with Moonclaw below the Highrock. Moonclaw glanced down at his daughter, with a smile he turned his head up to his clan leader. "SwampClan! Today we will be celebrating with the joy of new apprentices! Cloudkit and Sparrowkit, step forward." Crocstar yowled. Cloudkit bounded over to highrock, then suddenly remembered he will not be a kit anymore, he straitened up and walked more slowly. Sparrowkit still had that gleam in her green eyes as she stepped forward.

"I Crocstar, ask StarClan to look down on these two kits, they have reached six moons, and are ready to become one step closer to a warrior. Cloudkit, Sparrowkit, step forward." Crocstar stated. Cloudkit and Sparrowkit walked a little closer to highrock and sat down below their clan leader. "Cloudkit, you will now be known as Cloudpaw. Wolfwhisker will do the honors of teaching his own son. Sparrowkit, you will now be known as Sparrowpaw. Flamepelt will be your mentor." Sparrowpaw and Cloudpaw walked up to their mentors and touched noses as yowls rang across the clearing. "Sparrowpaw! Cloudpaw! Sparrowpaw! Cloudpaw!" Silverkit enjoyed hearing her friend's new names being called. I guess the only problem is that my friends won't be sleeping with me anymore..... Crocstar's voice quieted the crowd. "Trixie is now back to her warrior duties and will be sleeping in the warriors den tonight!" The cats nodded and went back to what they were doing.

Silverkit watched as the clan broke up into patrols. She looked around the clearing, searching for the new apprentices. As soon as she spotted them, Smokepaw walked in her way toward Cloudpaw and Sparrowpaw; flicking his tail at me. Windpaw followed behind Smokepaw but this time, swatted me with a paw. "Stay away rat, you belong in the nursery with the other rats." Silverkit opened her mouth to insult him back, but stopped in doing so. Its not right to take revenge. But i still wish he didn't call my littermates rats... Instead, she gave a low growl.

Silverkit sighed and walked of toward the nursery. To her luck, Cloudpaw and Sparrowpaw rushed after her. "We wanted to say goodbye." Cloudpaw choked. Sparrowpaw hung her head low. "We saw Windpaw and Smokepaw bully you, and that reminded me that I still didn't say sorry about last night's bickering. So.... i'm sorry. Will you forgive me?" "Of course," Sparrowpaw can be a bully, but she still has a sweet heart. "And congrats, you should still be excited about being apprentices!" Sparrowpaw looked at Cloudpaw, who look at his paws. "Not that much...." Cloudpaw muttered. "We really miss you," Before Cloudpaw can finish, Wolfwhisker and Flamepelt called their names. "Bye...." Sparrowpaw and Cloudpaw choked. I'll miss my friends.....