Chapter One- Close Call

(FLASHBACK)

I was leaving him in the dust, laughing about it all the way. "Vitani, slow down!" My father, Niall growled as I barreled forward. I froze, but not because he told me to. Ahead of me, in the tall grass, I saw a tail. It was big and fluffy, and I was just a cub, only five years old. I lowered myself, my belly touching the ground as I stalked my prey. I pounced, digging my claws and teeth into the tail, and immediately regretted my decision.

There was a loud yelp, and before I knew it five huge wolves were growling at me, ready to rip this cub apart. "Well, well..what do we have here? Has the little kitten lost her way?" snickered one of the wolves. I hissed at the closest wolf, and swiped my little paw at him, drawing blood on his nose.

"What's wrong Cooper, can't handle a kitten?" another wolf jeered. The one named Cooper was pissed now, he lunged at me, catching me with his paw and pinning me down. "I'm going to make you regret that kitty cat," he said. He was about to close his massive jaws on me when he was taken to the ground.

I looked up, startled, seeing my mother, Kitana, in her Cheetah form standing between me and the wolves. Thank the Gods she was so fast. She stood there, baring her fangs as she held him pinned to the ground, daring one of the other wolves to attack first. As Cooped started to get up a loud and angry roar was heard. My Father had arrived, and the wolves were scared. He stepped between us and the wolves, growling loudly. "Rogues" He said disgusted... "This is our territory, and you are not welcome here. My family and I have claimed this area."

"Niall, we were just introducing ourselves to your lovely Kitties." Cooper said, his voice shaking. He knew he didn't have enough wolves to kill a Lion. "Allow us to leave, we've done no harm." He slowly crawled away.

"Cooper," he froze as my father spoke his name, "If you or your wolves return here, it will be the last time." Cooper growled, but nodded as he left. His wolves followed closely behind, not wanting to be alone with two fully grown Feline shifters.

"Vitani, shift back, now." My Mother ordered as she shifted into her human form. My Mother was so beautiful, flowing honey colored hair, and golden-brown eyes. She was long and slender, much like her Cheetah form, but definitely not weak. Mother carried me home as she and Father chastised me for being so reckless.

"I wasn't scared!" I said defiantly. "I would have torn that wolf to pieces!"

"Vitani, one day you will have nothing to fear. You will be one of the strongest Felines to exist, but for now, you are just a cub. They could have killed you today, your Mother and I would have lost the most important part of us." Father said solemnly. He always hated having to discipline me, they both did. Mother and Father had tried to have cubs for five years before I was born.

That night I was sent to bed early, Mother's humming sending me into a restful, deep sleep.