Chapter Two- Losing it All

Chapter 2- Losing it All

(FLASHBACK)

A long, angry howl, followed by a roar woke me. I sniffed the air, confused and still in a dream-like daze, who's scent is this? My eyes opened wide with fear as I recognized it as that big wolf's... Cooper's scent, and he wasn't alone. It sounded like there were maybe twenty wolves with him. "Vitani!" My Mother screamed and she opened my door. "Up Vitani, we have to go now!" She shifted and I did the same. Mother grabbed me by the scruff of my neck and took off running.

Looking back, I saw that our home was burning. Father was nowhere in sight, but I could hear his roars and growls as he fought the wolves. Mother was using her full speed to leave the wolves behind us, but I could still hear their snarls in distance. She was able to dodge a few wolves that had come front the front and sides, but she couldn't keep running forever.

Suddenly I felt Mother freeze; I could hear the river nearby. I looked down and saw the wolves had herded us to the bluffs. The river lay rushing far below us. Mother set me down behind her and hissed at the wolves, slowly closing in. "Niall!" She screamed desperately, waiting for Father to appear, maybe together they could take on the wolves.

Cooper, clearly the Alpha of the Rogues, approached slowly. "Oh pretty kitty cat, your mate is long dead. Did you really think he could survive an attack like this? But no tears kitty, you will soon join him, along with your little cub.

Mother held back her grief, "Vitani," she whispered, "JUMP!" When I didn't move she pushed me over the edge with her back paw. Cooper lunged forward to grab me and Mother met him head on with her most ferocious snarl. The last thing I saw was Mother viciously ripping at his face with her teeth and claws, before she was covered by the wolves.

I felt as if I was falling forever in slow motion, finally the cold water engulfed me. I struggled to keep my head above water as long as I could, luckily the river finally slowed and I was able to latch onto a floating log. Exhausted and defeated, I allowed the current to carry me for miles.