Chapter Four- A New Life

(Present)

I trotted home at a mild pace, taking the long way so that I could check the rest of the Pack’s border. Everything seemed clear, with the exception of the Rogue pack’s lingering scent. It was putrid, the smell of rotting flesh followed the mutts around wherever they went. As soon as I saw Mother Sheena I could tell I was in trouble. At seventeen I was among the strongest fighters in the pack, but I was not a member of the Warriors. It was not my duty to complete border patrols, and I had been caught breaking this rule more than once.

“Vitani….” My Wolf-Mother said… “You know you are not to be at the borders. It is to dangerous for even you my child.”

“Mother I’m fine, I haven’t been hurt, and I even killed three Rogues today!” I said with pride in my voice. “There was a huge pack of them out there, more than I had ever seen! I attacked two stragglers to catch the pack’s attention, and then led them away from our pack, all the way passed the border. Once I left them far enough behind I killed a third rogue, possibly a Beta.”

Mother sat quietly, I knew she was relaying all of this to Loki, my Wolf-Father, and Alpha. “Come child,” she said, “Your Father is holding a pack meeting in a few minutes, and we are expected at his side.”

The meeting was long and BOOOORRRRIIIINNNNGGG….. I hated having to sit still for more than a few minutes, unless I was hunting. I caught myself spacing out, but only once Father said my name.

“Huh?”, I said, embarrassed to be caught not paying attention. Father growled softly, more irritated than angry. “I was saying Vitani, that I would like you to explain to the pack what happened today. Tell them what you saw.”

“Yes Alpha,” I said. “I was out for a run when I came across the scent of rogues. I decided to track the scent, and found a pack of maybe thirty rogues inside our borders. I attacked and killed two stragglers in order to catch their attention, and proceeded to have them chase me. I ran them across our border. On my way back into our territory I came face to face with a final rogue and killed him. I believe he was the Rogue Pack’s Beta.”

“Aww, that is just too cute. The kitty cat thinks that she could kill a Beta..” jeered Sami, the pack bitch. No I don’t mean bitch as in female. I mean bitch as in that little mutt is really starting to piss me off. “The other young wolves laughed at her comment, and I hissed as loudly as I could.

“Vitani, enough.” Father said. “Pack dismissed, Vitani, come with me.”

“Shit,” I thought…”I’m going to get it now.”

“You were very brave today, Vitani.” Wait.. what? Brave? I’m sure he meant stupid…

“Alpha?” I said, unsure of what was to come.

“I mean it Vitani. Most of the wolves would have turned and ran. Your bravery matches the most ferocious of our Warriors, as an Alpha I am so proud. As a Father, I never want you to do something like this again. Your Mother and I love you so much. You may not be our pup, but you are our cub, and we would be heartbroken if we lost you.” Father looked at me with his gray eyes, and I could see the mixture of pride and fear.

“I’m sorry Father,” I said quietly. “I just wanted to protect the pack. You gave me my life back, I just want to defend our home.”

“I know child, and in less than a year you will turn eighteen, you will be eligible for a Warrior position, which I would gladly grant you. Please, just wait until then to go finding trouble, my daughter.” Father left with that. I would listen this time, He and Sheena had saved my life, had raised me despite my being a Feline, and I had to do my best to respect his wishes.