Chapter Three- Life Goes On

Chapter 3- Life Goes On

(FLASHBACK)

Seven days, that is how long it has been since I've eaten. Since I was still a cub Mother and Father hadn't taken me on a hunt yet. My eyes watered and my heart grew heavy when I thought of them. Even so young, I knew there was no way they had survived. If they had a Pride they would still be here with me. The Pride had thrown them out when they discovered Mother and Father were mates. It was looked down upon to intermix the races of Feline, despite the Mate bond.

Slowly I crawled out of the abandoned fox den I had found the night I washed up onto the river bank. In the week I had been here I only left it to drink from the river. I knew I had to eat something, if I waited any longer I would be too weak. I softly crept down to the willow reeds near the bank; I had seen many frogs and small fish in this area. After five failed attempts I was starting to feel desperate.

I lay as still as possible, hardly even breathing as I watched a frog hop out of the water and a little too far from the bank. I crawled forward, my belly dragging the ground. The frog saw me, but not until I had sunk my little fangs into him. It wasn't much for a meal, but it was enough to survive another day, and that is all I had at this point.

Over the next two months I followed the same routine. Wake up, catch a few frogs, maybe a fish if I was lucky, drink, and back to the den. I was starting to feel pent up, wanting to explore a little. I had only seen three wolves the entire time I had been here. They had smelled me, but I was able to hide from them. They never stayed for too long. Rogues are constantly on the move, especially if they are alone and in pack territory. I felt it was safe enough, so on this day, I ventured further away from my safe haven.

It was beautiful out today, the sun shining brightly, and the river bank was full of lush greenery with wild flowers all around. This forest was my home now, and I was as happy as I would ever be. About thirty feet ahead of me I saw a fat little rabbit. I froze, and sunk low into my hunting stance. Rabbits are fast, but I am faster, and it would be nice to eat something other than frogs or fish. I crawled forward.. closer....closer......almost.... just as I was about to pounce the rabbit took off! Something had startled it, and it wasn't me.

I dropped to the ground, scanning the area and trying to find out what was out here with me. I backed up slowly until my butt hit a tree. "Wow, that's a furry tree.... Wait....." I turned my head slowly, and saw a large grey and white wolf staring at me. I must have jumped three feet in the air before backing away from her as fast as possible. The She Wolf stared at me, head cocked to the side, curiosity flowing from her amber eyes. When she stepped forward I hissed and puffed up, trying to look bigger than I was. She giggled, "What? SHE GIGGLED AT ME?", and took another step closer, so I swatted at her muzzle, drawing a few drops of blood.

This surprised her enough that I had time to shoot by her, and made it back to my den before she could stop me. I would have thought the She Wolf was beautiful, had wolves not destroyed my family. After a few minutes I could hear paws approaching my den. She was there, sitting and waiting, and she wasn't alone. I could see a set of black paws, bigger than hers, sitting to her side. They were quiet, probably speaking through the mind link. No matter, I can wait these wolves out as long as it takes. I was wrong.

After two days they were still here, the pack brings them food, updates them on anything going on, and then they leave. I had found out that the two wolves here where Sheena, the Luna, and her mate, Alpha Loki. I just don't understand why they want to catch me so badly. I'm not big enough to be a threat, but perhaps they want me dead before I grow into a problem.

"Sheena, we can't stay here any longer. The pack needs us, it has been two days." The big Alpha said.

"You go if you must Loki, but I can't leave her here until I've spoken with her. She is just a cub, and all alone. I want to know where her pride is, and why they haven't come looking for her."

"Two more days Sheena, but that is all. Then we must leave", he said with his Alpha Voice.

Another day of no food and water, and I was to my breaking point. The wolves fell asleep when the moon was high; I was guessing it was around midnight. I carefully slipped out of the den and made my way to the river. I was able to catch a small frog and get a drink, but decided not to stay out long, it was just too risky. When I reached the den I didn't see the wolves. "I did it! I waited them out!" I thought joyfully. I began to prance back to my safe haven, when the Alpha stepped in front of me. He sat down in front of the entrance, and a snapping stick told me the Luna was here as well.

I turned to face her, prepared to try and run, but I knew I was too weak. I collapsed to the ground, and let the tears roll. I had no one, nothing but a hole in the ground. I no longer cared that these wolves would kill me. I just wanted it to be over.

Suddenly the Luna had her snowy, soft paw over me. She lay down and pulled me to her chest and whispered soft things as she groomed me, just like Mother did whenever I was frightened of something. The last thing I remember of that night is Sheena picking me up by the scruff of my neck. I had thought these wolves would be the death of me, but no, in truth they gave me life.

SHEENA'S POV

My heart broke as the little cub began to cry. I hadn't meant to frighten her this way, but I couldn't leave her alone. She was so beautiful; I could see Cheetah in her, and maybe Lion? I had never seen a hybrid Feline in person. Loki and I had lost our only two cubs during a rogue attack recently, so I could not abandon a young shifter. I groomed her as the tears fell. It was clear there was no Pride coming, no family to care for her. I mind linked with Loki as I nuzzled her, and he agreed that we should bring her home.

"Do not fear sweet child, we will protect you... you have a home now, you are safe.." I whispered as I picked her up.