Chapter Five- Challenging the Beta

Four seconds- that was all I needed to pin Sami and take the victory. Today all Wolves (and myself) that had turned eighteen were battling it out for ten warrior positions, plus the position of Captain. I had easily worked my way through all of them, and I was now in the final round. My opponent was Beo, the current Beta’s son. He was a massive tawny wolf, full of muscle, and foolish arrogance. Every she-wolf was dying to be his mate, and he certainly had his pick of the litter. I could tell he was pissed I had beaten his favorite slut, Sami so easily. She was a pathetic excuse of a wolf anyway.

I knew I would have my work cut out for me. His father, Balin, was the ref, and boy that wolf did not like me. Especially since I had been putting a hurting on every wolf here.

“You know the rules,” Balin spat, “No claws, no teeth. Pin  your opponent for ten seconds to win. Begin!”

Beo and I slowly circled each other. I whipped my tail back and forth, using it to distract him. I was about to lunge when a rock hit the back of my head. When I turned to see who threw it, I saw Sami sitting there with a bitchy little smile on her face. Beo used that split second to his advantage, and tackled me. No matter how hard I fought I couldn’t throw him off in the position I was laying.

Five seconds. That’s how long he had me pinned before his father named him the victor. He hadn’t even given me the full ten seconds to attempt to throw Beo off.

“Beta, you can’t be serious! What happened to TEN seconds to win?” I screamed as Beo pranced around for the she wolves.

“Oh please Vitani. Accept your defeat with honor. My son bested you, there was no way you would have thrown him off. Wolf beats cat, Vitani, that’s just the way it is.”

“WOLF BEATS CAT?!?!?” I roared, “Then tell me Balin, why did I make it to the final round? Why did it take that little bitch throwing a rock at me and you CHEATING FOR YOUR SON for him to win?!”

“How dare you speak to me that way! I am the Beta of this pack, and you will show me respect! You hold no rank here, you ARE NOTHING. Nothing but the Luna’s pet and if you ever disrespect me again I will rip you apart!!!”

I saw red. I couldn’t stop myself as I charged him, throwing all of my anger and weight into him, and slamming him into a tree. We were a tornado of claws and teeth as we snarled and growled at each other. He managed to get me on my back, and I quickly threw him back as I dug my back claws into his belly. The old wolf howled in pain and fell to the ground. He lay there panting heavily, a mixture of anger and fear in his eyes. I turned to face the young wolves, hissing at them to move. Suddenly there was a sharp pain in my tail. I turned to see the Beta’s jaws locked onto me. With a snarl I smacked him with my paw, claws out, as hard as I could. Three deep gashed marked his muzzle now, and would forever. He lay unconscious and I walked away, the other wolves parting quickly, having seen what I could do. None of them would challenge me now. I had just kicked their precious Beta’s ass.