WHERE ARE YOU?

Continued From Last Part...

"Five days... five full days... It has been five days since I saw her"

"Why hasn't she come back?",
he wondered sitting in the huge third floor patio ,"She was supposed to be here three days ago...has.. has something happened to her?"

Arnav panicked like never before. He threw the vase on the side table breaking it in vexation. Being the suave, disciplined businessman he was, he was always in control of situations... except this particular one.

Well, there is always a first time...

The revamping of Sheesh Mahal was almost done. His family were flying in today. 

"Nani and Di will be thrilled to see the developments", he breathed slow and deep, "I have to be in total control"

While he sent two cars with Arjun to receive them from airport, Arnav stayed back at the Mahal to monitor last minute changes.

"Chote Saab, they are here"

Hearing HP, Arnav walked down the staircase leading to the grand foyer and with eager steps stepped out of the main entrance. He couldn't hold back a smile at the fascination in his family's eyes at the glory of the old palace.

Arnav bent down to take blessings from his grandmother, when she hugged him tight to her bosom. "Chote", she cried, "you have done a fabulous job"

"I'm sure it looks as majestic as it did when it was built 500 years ago or even better", Anjali chuckled in tears.

"Di", he hugged her, "Do you have to cry for everything?", he asked amused at his lovable drama-queen twin.

"Of course Saale Saab", chimed in Shyam Manohar Jha, Anjali's husband, "It's been 12 hours since she got emotional, so it's high time", in return receiving a gentle pat on his arm by Anjali.

"Hmm", Arnav said, "Come in everyone"

The relationship between Arnav and Shyam was strained four years back. Shyam, being a lawyer, had gotten involved more than needed with a female client and Arnav had stepped in and curbed it in his ASR style before it turned into a full-fledged affair. Anjali had just then given birth to Mehak and was blissfully unaware of the same. Shyam had since then tried to mend the bond between him and Arnav but ASR was adamant in keeping it to a few needed courtesies.

Mehak and Lavanya stepped out of the car last. Mehak ran into Arnav's arms shouting "Mamu, is this a real palace?"

"Yes, pumpkin",
he said kissing her adorable cheek, "And you are the princess here"

He smiled at Lavanya who smiled back at him coyly, "ASR, how are you?"

"Good, let's go in first", he invited everyone.

Everyone was shown their bedchambers. An hour later, all of them assembled in the huge dining area for lunch. Arnav had appointed maids and servants a few days ago to assist HP with household chores. 

It being a hot day, with the added stress of preparations to receive his family, Arnav was especially fatigued. He felt his head spin as he got up from the couch and collapsed. 

The entire family rushed to him. HP got some orange juice while Arjun checked Arnav and tried to comfort the family saying, "It's hypoglycemia- meaning low blood sugar", "he must have taken the medication but forgot to have his breakfast". 

Once Arnav got back to normal, he was irritated at everyone fussing over him.

"I am fine", Arnav said sitting up on the couch slowly

"I can see that", Anjali was sarcastic and furious at the same time

"Have a good lunch and then sleep for a while Chote",
Nani was stern

"You really need to take good care of yourself Arnav", Arjun said annoyed, "This is the second time you passed out since you came to Lucknow"

While the others screamed "What?", Arnav glared at Arjun.

Lunch was a noisy affair with Arnav being the focus of attention.

It was late evening when he joined the family sitting in the great foyer for tea and refreshments. HP got him his black coffee. 

"How are you now Chote?", Nani asked concerned placing the back of her palm on his forehead.

"I am fine Nani", Arnav chuckled.

"No more work for today", she commanded, "It's good that Manohar and Akash are in Delhi taking care of business", "I want you to rest well"

Arnav knew it was useless arguing with her, so he tried diverting the topic, "When are Mamaji, Mami and Akash coming here?", he asked

"In a week", Lavanya replied.

The next two days were boisterous. A few of the interior decorators and architects met with Nani and others to see if they would suggest any changes. Some interior parts of the Mahal were not renovated yet, so Arnav got a chance to focus more on that while his other family members helped with selection of furniture and supplemental assests.

Aman met him regularly to update on upcoming meetings and video conferences with clients, though they were kept to a minimum, with Akash having taken over the major portion in Delhi.

No one could sense a storm brewing in Arnav's mind under his careful pleasant outward charade. "Where is she?", he kept thinking, "It's been a week for God's sake"

He fervently hoped she was safe. He had gone to the garden behind the Study that held jasmine plants a zillion times to check if she had come. 

"Jasmines are her favourite", he mused, her thoughts bringing a faint smile on his face.

Every time he heard a maid walk around with anklets, he would assume it was her. Every minute, every passing second was making him lose his control more. He yearned to see her.. to hear her words.. to see the twinkle of naughtiness in her eyes.

"Please come", he prayed, "I just need to know you are fine".

Arnav couldn't explain the desperation he felt, even to himself..

..........................................................................................................