THE HISTORY

(FLASHBACKS ARE IN ITALICS)

"I am not related to that lady. I am her..."

"I am not a ghost."

"I am just stuck in a warped lifetime..."

"I don't have a way out."

"You are the only one I love..."

"I will help you find out about me... about us.."

"My life is a bane but yours is entangled with mine."

"This is not just about me anymore, now it is about us..."

Arnav was unable to sleep. He kept tossing and turning on the recliner. He thought deeply about each and every word she uttered. He could sense sincerity in her voice along with something else... desperation.

"But why?" he thought, "And why is she coming to me again and again?" "How can I help her?"

He went over and over the conversations they had from day one, since the day he saw her in Sheesh Mahal. He had felt that he had seen her and heard her voice even when he met her for the first time.

"How do I know her?",he thought, "Why did she sound familiar?", "What is common between us?", "Why this enigma around her?"

"Please come to the Art and History Museum in Jalnagar. You will know about me there."
Arnav remembered her words.

"Sure Khushi", he was determined, "I will come there. Let's see what we find out"

"My portrait is the key...My portrait is the key...My portrait is the key..."

"Let me start unlocking from there then",
Arnav got up to go to the north-wing where he had found her painting. He slipped out of the bed and walked gently without disturbing anyone.

Since it was dark inside the Mahal, it was difficult finding the way to north-wing. He did not want to switch the lights on and attract attention. He could walk around in the garden and reach the north-wing from the other end. He needed to get a flash light from the study for that.

Arnav walked to the study but was unable to find it, so he had to switch a small side-lamp to search for it.

"Who is it there?", a male voice shouted from the stairs. Someone switched the light on in the living area.

Arnav pocketed the flash light and moved into the living room.

"Saale Saab",
Shyam said, "Is that you?"

"Hmm",
Arnav said

"What are you doing in the study?", Shyam asked

"Um... just had to get something from there", Arnav said

"Ok", said Shyam and looked around as if scanning to find somebody/ something

"What are you doing at this time?", asked Arnav looking at his watch, "It's almost two in the morning"

"I came to get water for Mehak",
Shyam said still looking around

"Ok", Arnav said, "I will get back to sleep"

"Good night again",
Shyam said.

Arnav did not have an option but to go back to his bed chamber, "Sh*t", he cussed. "Now I have to wait until he goes back to sleep"

Arnav laid back on his bed but the day's fatigue took over and he fell asleep.