A Space Dad Talk

Pidge had just come back from their Holt family evening and she returned to her garrison dorm room to finish packing. It was late but she liked it that way. She didn't understand how people were afraid of the dark.  The night stars were so beautiful and it was always more quiet during the night anyway. It was The best time to get work done with no distractions.

She got changed out of her dress and went straight to the Garrisons cafeteria. She just needed to grab a snack since she knew she would be hungry later. I mean no one wants to work on an empty stomach am I right?

Shiro POV

Shiro all the while was sitting alone in front of the fallen soldiers graves. He had been thinking about Adam and how he wished he hadn't left him the way he did. Life would be so much different if he had just stayed on earth. Stayed home with Adam. But at the same time if he hadn't gone what would earth have become? Would there have been another paladin to take his place? They already formed voltron without him now. These were all hypothesis and he knew he couldn't change the past so why dwell on it now? He sighed and told himself it was time to leave. He had done enough soul searching tonight. Tomorrow  was a new day. He got up to leave when he suddenly saw a streak of green run past him.

Pidge? He thought.

That girl was always up to something. He told himself he probably should go check on her and make sure she wasn't going to blow something up. She must be so heartbroken that Lance is going out with Allura. He knew how much she liked him.

"Well Well Well" he said as he entered the cafeteria.

Pidge suddenly dropped the pizza and the the box of peanut butter cookies she had found.

"Looks like we have a little thief here" he chuckled. "Don't worry you know I'm not going to report you"

Pidge sighed when she turned around and saw Shiro.

"Hey thanks I was just...you know getting a snack! I have some projects to work on you know how I pull all nighters haha" pidge said back to him.

"Ya I know. So I see your handling things well."

"Ya why wouldn't I? I always handle things well. I'm a rational person Shiro" she said while picking up her food.

"Do I need to remind you of the time we had to make a trade off to get ur father back? I don't remember u being so rational then."

"Ok so that was one time!"

"Uh huh" Shiro said chuckling a little. "I was just wondering if you know you were ok"

"Shiro what is this? A therapy session? Trust me I'm fine!"

Shiro sighed. "Pidge I think we need to talk."

Pidge looked up at him quizzically as he took a seat at one of the cafeteria's tables and motioned her to sit down.

She followed without hesitation, but she couldn't understand why he was acting like this. Maybe his new arm quiznaked something in that head of his she thought.

"Look pidge remember when we were on our way to earth and for a while we were...I guess you could call it... lion roommates?"

"Ya..." pidge was stilll confused what did this have to do with anything.

Shiro continued "Well during those nights I didnt sleep much amd well you would talk in your sleep quite a bit. I ended up hearing most of the things you said...and then when I heard lance and allura were going out...I well you probably know what I'm getting at right?"

"That I probably had a dream about a mathematical genius idea that you couldn't understand amd you want me to explain it to you?"

Shiro sighed in defeat and leaned back in his chair.

"What? I don't know what your talking about Shiro. My dreams aren't that interesting you know. I don't remember even half of them. I mean we still don't know what they actually mean and..."

"Pidge I know you like lance"

Pidge stopped in midphrase. "I'm sorry what?" Her face became blatant red out of embarrassément but especially out of anger. Why did everyone today think she liked lance?

"It's nothing to be ashamed about. I just...I know it's hard when the other person doesn't seem to like you back and..."

"I don't like lance Shiro!

Pidge suddenly stood up. As if trying to make a stand.

"I don't like lance. I don't. Ok? Why would you ever think such an idiotic thought? I thought you were smarter than that" She spun around not wanting to look at Shiro in the eye. Her back faced him and she knew what she said hadn't been nice but she couldn't help it. She was just so...so...ugh!

She expected him to apologize or maybe be disappointed in the way she acted towards him but instead she heard a laugh. Shiro was chuckling. No he was laughing at her. How could he?!

"Why r u laughing?!?" Pidge was getting extremely frustrated. She hated being confused especially when she knew she was no dumbass.

Shiro wanted to stop laughing but he couldn't. The girls distress in this situation and the way she got so annoyed by this was so familiar to him. He laughed because she, well, reminded him of him. It reminded him of the way he had acted when everyone knew he somehow definitely had feelings for Adam. 

Pidge liked to act like she only cared about her work but her heart was bigger than she let on. Just like a plant the amount of love she had for this Cuban boy had grown and somehow the more it grew the more she tried to push it away. It was more logical and easier for her to ignore these feelings than to face them head on.

Hopefully, Shiro could ease the stress off of this girls poor heart. So he slowly regained his composure and explained to Pidge why he knew this in the most calming manner possible.

"Pidge I know this must be hard since you are used to being right basically all the time but u got to realize no matter how much you know there will always be something new to learn." Shiro looked up at her for once expecting her to hopefully turn around and face him. Unfortunately, she stayed still looking ahead. She didn't want to confront this.

"Ok I guess this wasn't the right time to bring it up."  He muttered and then continued "Pidge if you do ever want to talk about this please know that I am here for you. I just wanted to make sure you were ok. I really did have good intentions when I brought this up." And with that he got up and calmly walked away.

The conversation was now over.