Fifty Seven

"Uh," I grinned. "You and Austin?"

She blushed, but shook her head, denying that anything would happen between them. But the way she smiled when she said his name told a different story.

"Irrelevant." She said quickly. "What's with you and Nicholas Mara."

We sat on the sofa, pulling a fluffy blanket over our legs. I snuggled into the cushions next to me and tried to figure out how to explain myself.

"He said to put it on when I'm ready to get back together with him."

"Okay," she said, waiting for something more. "You don't want to?"

"No, I do."

"Okay," she paused again. "So why aren't you wearing it?"

I laughed. "I don't know. Something's making me hesitate to put it on and I don't know what it is."

"Commitment." She stated.

"Huh?" I sat up straight. "I'm not scared of commitment."

"I think you are."

"I've been dating him this whole time."

"Yeah," she said slowly. "But the ring makes it official. Like up till now, it was like 'okay we like each other and we're dating' but now it's more serious 'cause you're promising to love him for as long as you can."

I thought about it for a while, trying to determine if she was right. Before I could think too deeply into it, she stood up and walked to the kitchen, opening the bottom cabinet.

"Oh no." I laughed.

She walked back with a huge grin and a wine bottle in her hand. After making her promise that we wouldn't drink too much, I grabbed some glasses from the shelf and sat on the floor next to her. The next thing I knew, I was stumbling around the house, taking off my shirt and throwing it around, laughing hysterically when I fell over.

"I have to go." She said, balancing herself in her heels, gripping onto Austin's hoodie.

I waved with a sloppy smile, hoping she wouldn't trip and break her ankles while walking home. When the door closed, I fell back onto the floor and closed my eyes.

The next thing I knew, I was sitting on the sidewalk in front of a house in my pajama shorts and sports bra. It took me a moment to figure out whose house it was. The boys. I stood up, stumbling onto a lamppost, and crashed onto the door. A few seconds later, the door opened. Nick.

"Aubri?"

I laughed, my eyes half closed. "Nicholas!"

"You're drunk." He squinted.

"No." I slurred, pointing my finger at him. "I'm not drunk. I'm just tipsy."

I closed my eyes for just a second, but lost my balance and fell into his arms.

"Woah." He laughed. "Okay, okay."

He slid his hands around my waist and under my legs, picking me up, careful not to pull my hair. I wrapped my hands around his neck, resting my head on his shoulders.

"I like your shoulders." I giggled, my eyes still closed.

"Mmhm." He chuckled, walking up the stairs. "I'm glad."

"What the." Someone spoke from further away. Edwin. "Aubri, you good?"

"She's drunk." Nick whispered.

I jerked up. "I'm not drunk! I'm tipsy."

Edwin put his hands up, holding back a smile. I waved goodbye as Nick carried me into his room. He gently lay me down on the bed and walked back to close the door.