KILL HER!

Athena's POV

Frypan didn't want me anywhere near his kitchen. So I roam around the Glade, looking for something I can do with one hand. Bark isn't following me around now, it's way to hot for him. He's sleeping somewhere in the shade. wish I could do that. When I see Newt plucking tomato's, I hesitate. I could go and help him, but I don't want to encourage any feelings, especially if I can't answer them. or can I?  I shake my head, trying to clear my mind. I pass Zart, weeding. "Hi. Can I help you with something?" He looks up, but then continues weeding. "I don't think so. You're hurt. Ask Alby." ugh fine.  Let's look for Alby... It takes me a half a tour of the Glade to find him and at the same time avoid Newt. He sees me walking towards him and frowns. "Let me guess. Fry left a knife in the sink? Shucking hell that's the fourth time..." I smile, so at least he doesn't blame me for my injury. "I'm looking for something to do, preferably something that involves pointing" I joke, pointing at random objects with my bandaged finger. neatly bandaged I migth add, Gally has done this before. Alby thinks, his forehead full of wrinkles. "I can't really think about anything at the moment, just follow me, maybe I can use some of your Greenie ideas." alright, he wants my brains. I chuckle. "My brains are all yours."

"So... why don't you use the hoses? I saw a bunch of them at the Bloodhouse, if you fill up a tank, connect the hoses to it and prick holes into them, you'll get an irrigation system that doesn't waste water, energy or working hands, just fill up the tank and let it 'leak'. Plus it's easier then digging trenches." I look at Alby, trying to explain what I have in mind. He nods at me and turns to Alex, who was following Alby as well. "Fetch Gally". And off he goes. Alby gives me a quick smile. "You've got some good brains, I'll tell you that. Maybe you can figure something out for this..". For hours I walk around with Alby, discussing possible solutions for all kinds of problems. While sitting down in the shade of a tree, I look at him. "Alby?" "mmh" "Why don't the shower stalls have doors, but the toilet does?" he laughs, really laughs. "They used to have doors, but years of pranks getting out of hand led to the decision to take them off. Now we're used to it, but I understand it might be a... challenge for you." I look at the grass and lay down. "It's so weird. Why send me here?" Alby sighs, looking at Gally and Alex trying to get the hose connected to a tank without leaking to much there. "I wish I could tell you. Maybe the next Greenie will be a girl as well." He smirks. "We'll have to build a separate Homestead, one girl is trouble enough. a troupe of them..." I punch him in the shoulder "I'm not just a girl, I'm a Glader. Get used to it." I smile at him, hiding the fact that my knuckles hurt. they have to tell me their secret to getting to fit. damn. I push back the other questions I had, about why some Gladers avoid me. Or stare at me...

We walk back over to the irrigation system for the grapes the Builders had set up. Gally looks at Alby. "Seems to be working, good thinking." when Alby steps aside, Gally sees me. "Aw, sweet. Thanks." He looks surprised, but stays silent. no klunk for brains here. "We've got plenty of hose left and can make more tanks, we can make more systems for the tomato's, salad, carrots... everything really." Alby agrees with him, looking over Gally's shoulder. "Newt! come here will ya." Ugh, I was doing such a good job of avoiding him. Newt walks over, putting down the basket full of tomatoes. "What you got here Alby?" He looks at the system. "seems to be doing it's job, lot easier then dragging buckets four times a day." he pats Alby on the back. why does everyone just assume it's his idea. It's like Alby can read my mind "Athena thought of it. And a few other things to, I think we'll need a Gathering tonight. After the Banishment." I look at the Gladers surprised. "The what?"

I remember Gally telling me about how rulebreakers get banished, sent into the Maze when the doors close. And that no one survives a night in the Maze. "Not alone at least. Thomas, Minho and Alby survived, barely. But now we don't have any Griever Serum left, Thomas only had 3 shots with him when he came up. It took all tree of them to save Alby..." I look at Chuck. It's finally starting to cool down, we're sitting at a table in the dining area. I'm clutching the cup with tea. Dinner is served after the Doors close. after the Banishment. I had completely forgotten about Ben. My fingers touch the bruises on my throat. "How long untill..." I see Thomas and Minho running through the East Door. "oh..." not long. the urge to go and find Gally became stronger and stronger with each passing minute. Chuck seemed to notice me looking around the Glade. "All the Keepers are at the Pit now." then I realise. almost all of my friends are Keeper. I look in the direction of the Pit. Newt, Alby, Gally, Frypan... they're all there. Chuck stand up and reaches a hand out for me, which I take. "Do you want to..." I just nod and follow him. to the Pit, where they kept Ben prisoner. 

Newt's POV

"He looks like klunk." Ben doesn't look like Ben anymore. His skin is a sickly white, with dark veins all over. His eyes surrounded by dark circles, bloodshot. Foaming at the mouth as he keep repeating the same gibberish nonsense, as he's been doing for hours on end. Alby looks at Gally and Zart, the biggest Keepers. "you know what to do." they nod and jump down in the Pit, holding Ben down and putting a collar around his neck. Grabbing his arms and legs, them lift him through the opening in the bars, where Alby and Fry get a hold of the pole attached to the collar. This way, he won't be able to bite anyone. a thing we've had to learn the hard way. Out of the corner of my eye, I see Athena and Chuck coming this way. that's a really bad idea. As soon as Ben sees them, he goes crazy. Well, crazier, into a frenzy. "KILL HER!! SHE'LL KILL US ALL, CAN'T YOU SEE?? KILL HER NOW!!!" I turn and jog over to Athena, who had stopped. Staring at Ben, a scared expression on her face. "It's not a good idea to be here right now love. What are you doing here?" She looks confused, and a bit scared. "I just... uhm... maybe I... " Ben keeps screaming as they start walking to the Door. She's still staring at him. "It's alright, look at me. you're okay, he can't hurt you. I won't let him, just look at me." Her eyes start filling up with tears. oh no... "If I hadn't..." she stutters, a single tear rolling down her cheek.  I couldn't stop myself, even if I wanted to, and wrapped my arms around her, pulling her gently to my chest "No don't cry love, it's not your fault. He's sick, it'll be over soon..." She sobs quietly, tears rolling down my chest. "It's alright, you're safe. I'm not leaving you..." I hear Chuck clearing his throat. "uhm Newt? they need you at the Door..." With that, Athena steps back, wiping away the tears, refusing to look at me. "Athena you don't have to watch..." she sniffs, putting on a brave face. "I'm fine. Let's get this over with."