you can sing

Athena's POV

Alby let me off early, Gally probably said I agreed to change clothes again. It's not really cooled down a lot, so I had the sweater wrapped around my hips. Before I left, Gally untied my arm, making me promise to be careful. "I'll come help comb your hair as soon as I'm done here." I had smiled and told him to take a shower first, quickly pecking his lips. I put the comb in the pocket of the cargo pants and strap the knife to my thigh again. Outside, I hear Fry banging his spoon against the pot, making clear that dinner is ready. That's early? I fasten the knot off the sweater again before walking out of the hut. I close the door behind me and turn around, bumping against someone. "Ow I'm sorry I..." I freeze, staring at Todd. "What are you doing here?" I look around to see if someone notices what's going on here. He shouldn't be here. And definitely not without someone watching him... But everyone is heading towards the dining area, looking in that direction. Away from here. I look back at Todd, who hasn't moved a bit, just smiling at me. "Get away from me or I'll scream." He chuckles "Drop the act Athena. You don't have to deny it any longer. I know how you feel and it's okay, because I feel the same way." What the... What is he talking about. "You made that clear by refusing to beat us. Me. You love me...And the way you looked today..." I step back, but I can feel the door against the back of my leg. Dammit... "Todd... Listen to me. You have to step back and let me go, okay?" I try to sound calm and confident, but on the inside I was screaming. He didn't seem to get the message. "I know you cut me, but only because you were scared. Gally made you scared of me. I understand, and I forgive you." His hands reach up, as if he wanted to hug me. As he steps closer, I scream. As loud as I could, making him cover his ears and stumble back a bit, before recovering and covering my mouth, pushing me against the hut. "Shhh it's alright. I'll keep you save from him, I know a place..." He starts dragging me towards the Wall, following it. He's going to the Door. He wants to go into the Maze.  I struggle, trying to kick him as well as getting his hand of off my face. When I feel him pressing down harder, I bite him, not even letting go when I taste blood. "AAAH SHUCKING HELL." I rip free from his grip and start running, seeing Gally run out of the forest across the Glade. He must've heard my scream. I keep sprinting, feeling something thug at the sweater, but I yank the knot loose and force my legs to go even faster, not once looking back. I can't scream because of the lack of breath, I just need to get there... Some of the Gladers in the dining area turn around and notice somethings going on. come on, almost there...But then I get dragged to the ground, rolling in the grass to escape the grip on the back of my shirt, hearing the fabric rip. "WHY DID YOU DO THAT?" Todd is screaming so close in my face, I can't see anything but his face. His hands on my shoulders, shaking me, making my head bang on the ground over and over again. My knife, I need to reach my knife. "I NEED TO TAKE YOU WITH ME, WHY DON'T YOU UNDERSTAND. YOU LOVE ME, YOU HAVE TO DO WHAT I SAY!! THEY WANT US TO GO!" He's terrifying me. I hear the shouts of Gladers in the distance as my hands wrap around the cold metal shaft of the knife. I didn't even think, just jammed it in his side, pulling it back and jabbing at him again. And a third time. A fourth. And then, he was gone, off me. "ATHENA!! Newt get the knife. Athena look at me, breath. Breath, you're alright. Calm down Greenie, breath..." "MED JACKS!! WE NEED MED JACKS HERE!!!" I can't see anything through the tears. The taste of blood in my mouth... "Get her out of here Gally!" I recognize Jeff's voice "Apply pressure, we need to stop the bleeding. Todd stay with me, open your eyes. Clint we're losing him!" I can't stop crying, everything is a blur. I know Gally is carrying me. "I'm sorry, I'm so sorry, I didn't mean to.. I didn't want to... He..." I keep sobbing. 

Gally's POV

I set her down on the bathroom floor. She's still stammering apologies, sobbing. "Hey hey, look at me. It's alright. You're safe now." I lift up her face and kiss her forehead. She's covered in blood, and I don't even know if it's hers or his. I still vividly see him tackle her, screaming at her. And her reaching for the knife, stabbing him repeatedly seconds before we could yank him off of her. To late to safe him... "Athena, look at me. You need to help me here, okay? I'm going to take off your boots and pants, but I need you to take off your shirt, alright?" She sobs quietly, but nods slightly and looks at me with big helpless eyes. She's in shock. "Just breath, we're going to get you cleaned up and you'll be just fine. I promise." I work as fast as I can without tugging at her to badly, undressing her. Her bra is soaked as well. I kick of my own boots and unbuckle my pants with one hand, the other one holding her up. She trembling so badly now, I can't let her go without her falling down. Kicking away my pants, I guide her to the showerstall, letting the water flow, waiting for it to get warmer. "Gally?" She looks up at me, still terrified. "Yes babygirl?" "He's going to die, isn't he?" She almost chokes in the words. "I... I killed him." I see her looking at her hands, covered in blood. I pull her under the water with me, rinsing off her hands first, letting to bloodstained water flow down the drain. "Shh It's alright. You didn't do anything wrong." I untie the ribbon from her hair and let the water soak it, rinsing the dirt and leaves and feathers out.  I try to get all the blood off first, but her stomach and back keep turning pink because of the bloodstained water running from her bra. "I'm going to take your bra off as well, is that okay?" She nods and turns around, letting me unclasp it while she stares at the corner. She had stopped trembling, so I let go and wash the piece of clothing quickly, making sure most of the blood is out before tossing it aside. I start washing her legs, rubbing the dirt and sand away, working my way up to her back and her hair. The silence is deafening. She just stands there, staring at the wall, hugging herself. After I finish getting everything out of her hair, I gently turn her around. There's still some blood on her face... I wipe it away with my thumb, looking her in the eyes. I sigh and sing softly. 

"Wise men say only fools rush in
But I can't help falling in love with you
Shall I stay?
Would it be a sin
If I can't help falling in love with you?"  I take her hand and place a hand on the small of her back, gently rocking her. 

"Like a river flows surely to the sea

Darling so it goes
Some things are meant to be" She smiles faintly, a single tear rolling over her cheek. I wipe it away, hugging her closer to me. She let's her head rest against my chest.

"Take my hand, take my whole life too
For I can't help falling in love with you

Like a river flows surely to the sea

Darling so it goes
Some things are meant to be
Take my hand, take my whole life too
For I can't help falling in love with you

For I can't help falling in love with you"

She looks up at me again. "Gally... you can sing." I turn off the water and wrap her in a towel. "I never said I couldn't. Are you feeling better?" I wrap her hair in a towel as well, making her sit down on the stool that usually stands in the far corner of the bathroom. "I'm not sure... yes?" I kiss her softly, she looks a whole lot calmer than an hour ago. "Wait here for me, okay? I'll go get some dry clothes, lock the door behind me." I kiss her forehead again, hating having to leave her here alone. Practically naked. She smiles at me, a weak smile, but a smile. "Hurry please..." "Always." I walk out, pulling up my pants as I hear the stall door lock slide shut. If that shank isn't dead already, I'm going to kill him. 

I run towards the hut, there is no one to be seen outside. There is, however, a lot of noise coming from the Pit. No, I can't. Not right now. I grab two of my shirts, the pair of pants that she got from the supplies today and a sweater I haven't worn in... I don't even remember the last time I needed a sweater. She's going to need socks as well, clean underwear. I look around, does she have another bra? I go through the crate where she keeps her clothes. Nothing. Well... The sweater will hide that I guess. I sprint back to the Homestead. Gladers are starting to gather in the large room. "Gally! We are holding a Gathering..." "Just a sec Newt." I run past him, into the hallway, pushing the bathroom door open. Clint and Jeff under the shower, washing blood of their arms and faces. "Hey, what the shuck... Oh no, she's here?" I ignore them and knock on the door. "I got you clean clothes little..." I hold them over the door, and wait for her to grab them. I hear a bit of shuffling before she takes the clothes, getting dressed. A soft sniff as I hear her zip up the pants. What did Clint mean with... Oh no. I walk over to the two Shuck-faces and whisper shout. "What were you talking about? Huh?" Jeff stares at his feet as he wraps a towel around his waist. "Look man, we didn't know she was in here..." I hold up a hand to his face and look at Clint. He's the trustworthy one of the two. "About Todd. His injuries... He died on the way to our hut, they're digging a grave as we speak." I wish I could scream at the both of them right now. I turn back to see Athena coming out of the shower stall, bending over to pick up the dirt stained pants from the ground, getting her comb from it's pocket. Dropping it again, without even looking at it. It's got bloodstains on it as well... Her eyes were red, like she had been crying all the while I was away getting clothes. I put on the shirt as she combs through her hair, almost like a robot. No emotion on her face, it's almost scary. "Athena?" She doesn't look at me. "We need to go, they're holding a Gathering. We need to be there... Is that okay?" She nods and lays the comb down, walking past me into the hallway. She didn't put socks or shoes on. I stop her, hugging her, watching Clint and Jeff slip out the bathroom. "Talk to me babygirl. Are you alright?" I make her sit down on the stool again and dry off her feet, putting socks on. She stares at her hands. "I killed him Gally." I tie the laces on one of her boots. "He attacked you. You screamed, ran and fought, you tried everything... You did nothing wrong." Tears rolled of her cheeks. "No you don't understand. I wanted to... I wanted him dead."