Chapter 11: Elliott

The drive to the lawyers office was.. awkward. To say the least. Scarlett spent most of it staring out the window, those gorgeous eyes fixated on his town, while he spent most of the drive fixated on her. She liked the flowers best. He noticed because every time they passed one of the street signs with hanging planters overflowing with brightly colored blooms the corner of her mouth would draw up slightly.
This meeting was going to be rough on her, as if the last twenty four hours hadn't already taken it's toll. At first Elliott hadn't understood LC's reasoning behind well... any of this really. But the more he thought about it the more he thought maybe LC was saving her after all. He was giving his daughter an out, providing her with everything she needed to get out and away from her mother, if she decided to stay that is. He hoped the will would give her some clarity.

They pulled into the old Victorian home that now acted as an office building and he immediately heard her sigh. She wasn't ready.
"Do you want me to wait out here for you?"

"No." She said softly but urgently. "Sorry, I mean I'd rather not go in alone, if you don't mind coming with me" The struggle was obvious in her eyes.

"Oh yea, no absolutely" he said quickly. He felt like a bull in a china shop. Saying the wrong thing could make her fall apart and he'd be damned if he was the one saying it. So he just nodded.

Two hours later:

She walked out of the office with a tear stained face, enough money to set her up for awhile, and an envelope with a letter from LC that she hadn't opened yet. Elliot stayed silent, again not wanting to stick his foot in his mouth. What she was going through was unimaginable.
She finally spoke when they were back in the truck.
"Will you show me where he's buried?" Her voice was quiet and monotoned.

"Yeah, sure" he said pulling away from the curb and into traffic. He noticed she was fidgeting, toying with the corners of the envelope, no longer admiring the city. The silence was hard for Elliot to sit through, it made him uncomfortable.

"I need a drink" she sighed "a big one"

"I can make that happen too. Jack right?" He was trying to lighten the mood just a little, and it worked. Those eyes turned on him and the corner of her mouth turned up once again.