Chapter 23: Scarlett

Waking up the next morning Scarlett knew she was alone in bed. Her heart sank. The bed was cold on his side. But then the smell of coffee wafted into the room causing a smile to spread across her face. She leaned up just as he passed through the bedroom door with a mug in each hand.

"Good morning." He grinned as he made his way over to the bed extending her a cup. "How'd you sleep?" She stretched noticing all of the glorious sore muscles. He leaned down and planted a kiss on her lips before sipping his coffee. She took that moment to really look at him. He was wearing only his jeans that hung low on his hips showing off the line of dark hair trailing down his stomach and he had a sexy as hell bed head. Staring into his eyes she realized that she hadn't seen the tortured look that was usually hiding there. He was smiling, happy, and this made her happy.

"Fantastic" she giggled. "You?"

"Best sleep I've had in a long time." He sat on the edge of the bed and his face got serious. "Look I'm not going to be around tonight. I've got some club business, but Myra said she'd come hangout if you wanted her too. There will be a prospect here."

"Alright." He needed her to not be worried, he needed her to trust him, and he needed her to be strong so she would, for him. She noticed this about Myra. How she trusted Zac so completely that she didn't seem to worry at all last night. Elliott deserves that. She knew he had worried about her a lot the last few weeks and constantly treated her like she was going to fall apart, which she might have done, a couple of times. But it was a new day, Elliott was here in her bed, and it seemed that he was starting to give into himself so she would trust him.

"Do you have plans today?" He asked taking another sip.

"I think I'm going to go see dad." She said still toying with the use of the word. Although it felt right, it was something to get used to. But the man had done more for all of them than Tonya ever would have. "Do you want to come?"

The look on his face was strange and he thought about it for a beat longer than was comfortable but it was strikingly obvious when he made the decision to go.

"Yeah sugar, I think that's a good idea."

After a shower and breakfast Scarlett found herself on the back of Elliott's bike cruising down the music filled streets of New Orleans. When her father talked about the city in his letter he'd been right. She was quickly falling in love with this magical place she now called home. She couldn't wait to bring Cameron here and show him everything. The smells of different cuisines filled her nostrils making her mouth water and Elliott promised he'd take her to a place with the best beignets in the city. She would have to start running again is she was going to continue to eat like this she thought. The ride was over too soon and they were turning into the cemetery pulling up to her fathers headstone. She'd remembered where it was and this time she was more excited than sad. Elliott let her hop off the bike and she made her way over quickly. He stayed behind which she thought was sweet. Plopping down on her ass in the grass she began talking as if he was sitting there in front of her.

"Hey dad." At first it was awkward but soon she began to ramble. "I just wanted to say thank you. For bringing me here, bringing me back home. This family I didn't know I had has been the absolute best thing that could have ever happened to me. Elliott and I, well I don't know what we are but I'm thinking, hoping, you would approve. This city is magical. I've never seen anything like it. I haven't talked to Cameron in a while but he's coming back here too and we will both finally be where we belong. Thank you for everything you've done for both of us. Watch over Cameron for me while he's gone. I love you." She smiled wiping a stay tear from her eye. She'd never though in a million years this is where she would be. The only thing she would change would be that her father be there to see how happy she was. She stood kissing her fingers and laying them on the headstone before turning back to Elliott who was leaning against his bike. As she approached he outstretched a hand to her and she noticed a strange look in his eyes.

"Come on, there's someone I want you to meet." She took his hand and let him lead her through the cemetery to a heart shaped headstone not far from LC.

Kathryn Lee James
      1992-2015

Her heart pounded and her hands began to sweat as she read the name inscribed in beautiful curly script across the heart.

"Scarlett, this is Katie. My fiancé. Katie, this is Scarlett." Scarlett squeezed his hand.

"Hello Katie" Scarlett whispered.

"I wanted you to meet her Kat. She's pretty special to me." Elliott said to the headstone kneeling down to adjust the fresh flowers that had obviously been brought in within the last few days. They were tulips in various shades.
"Tulips were her favorite."

Scarlett didn't know what to say so she just stood there with a firm reassuring grip on Elliott's shoulder as he went through the story of the accident stopping to clear his throat every so often. When he stood again she couldn't help but throw her arms around him squeezing him tightly as silent tears rolled down her face. This was huge. This, she could tell, meant the absolute world to Elliott and he'd let her in completely.

"No tears baby." He said reaching up to wipe the stray tear off her cheek. "I just want you to know why I act the way I do sometimes. I care about you, more than I should after only a few weeks but I can't help it. And I want you to know what that means to me. Why it's a big deal."

Her heart squeezed. This man. He kept amazing her.