Chapter 17: Scarlett

Elliott: Don't be. I'll be gone for a few days. If you need anything call Tack.

He definitely hated her. She was sure of it. It had been two weeks and no word from him at all. Tank had come over the night he left and talked strategy with her. Figuring out what she was going to do and where they went from there. It was tough. She had made the call to her boss letting her know she wouldn't be back, which she felt terrible about. Leaving her coworkers that much more shorthanded was the worst. But she also felt relieved, not that she would admit it. The job had been one of the constant stresses in her life for too long.

"We are your family sweet pea, if you want to stay we have your back."
Family.
It was something so foreign to her. These men who didn't even know her took her in. She'd met women at the club who had welcomed her with open arms. Some had been around since she was a child and would dote on what a beautiful young woman she had become. How they couldn't believe she was all grown up and how it was like yesterday she was running around giving the boys hell in the club house. She'd really come to love the city and her new found family. After talking to Cameron, she had decided to stay. Cameron would be coming to Louisiana in a couple of months when he made it back to the states. She was just going to have to apologize profusely until Elliott forgave her.

Now she sat at the bar in the clubhouse waiting for her car to arrive. Tack had sent prospects to pack her apartment and drive her car back into New Orleans. She was taking another sip of her drink when the sunlight beamed into her eyes off the mirror behind the bar signaling someone entering the front door. She glanced up to the closing door. Elliott stood with his arms above his head in a long stretch as he took in the room. His eyes came to her and paused. He nodded his head to her and headed back to the room behind the pool tables.

She stared at herself in the mirror, making sure she looked presentable. But she wouldn't admit that. Her hair was in a high pony that still left waves running down her back. She was wearing a basic oversized tee and cut offs with sneakers. Not her best look, but not the worst. Although it didn't seem to matter she thought to herself. Downing the rest of her jack she decided to wait outside. It was hot but she'd suffer to put some distance between her and the pure mortification she felt with Elliott in the next room.

Ten minutes passed and she began to sweat, unattractively. She imagined she looked like the wicked witch from the wizard of oz melting into a puddle. The though made her smile.

"What's funny?" A voice said from behind her making her jump. She turned in the direction of the voice and was met with a Black T-shirt stretched to its limits over a broad chest. She had to tilt her head all the way back to meet Zac's eyes.

"Just thinking about melting like the wicked witch out in this heat."

He chuckled "Why are you out here in it then?"

"Waiting on my stuff. Tack has some of the guys bringing in my car from home." Zac nodded taking a cigarette from his pack and lighting it. "How was your trip? Or am I allowed to ask?"

"The ride was nice. The other doesn't matter. But I'll tell you, I'm ready to fall into my own bed."

About that time Scarlett spotted her red little Honda pulling into the lot. It was a welcome sight. The car meant freedom. It was loaded down with bags piled up to the ceiling in the back seat and the prospect looked crammed in like a sardine, the poor kid. Definitely too tall and lanky for a little car. She smiled again at the sight of him folding out of it.
About the time the prospects feet hit the ground the sound of motorcycles caught everyone's attention. There were three. Three bikes and three men she didn't know. Zac tensed visibly, and she could have sworn he got bigger, taller.

"Scarlett get inside, now."

She didn't waste any time. She did as she was told and jumped off the picnic table she had been occupying turning and walking quickly into the clubhouse.

"What's going on? Why do you look freaked out?" Elliott said joining her just inside the door. His tone sounded almost worried and his hand landed on her arm.

"Not sure, some guys on bikes pulled in and Zac told me to come inside."

Elliott leaned over to glance out the window then turned back to her. "Go get Tack." Again not about to argue she turned for the back of the club house as she saw the light reflect again off the mirror when Elliott opened the door.

Tack was in the back room, playing pool with Lager when she walked in they both looked at her.

"Elliott told me to come get you. Some guys pulled up in the court yard." They both gave each other a strange look before laying down their pool cues and walking passed her.
After only a few minutes she started to hear yelling. She peeked into the main room and noticed everyone had cleared out. It felt eerie now with no one drinking at the bar or conversing by the pool tables.

Pop pop pop

Before she could realize what was going on the glass front door exploded into a million pieces letting the outside light spill into the main room. Gunshots. She threw herself onto the floor turning with her back against the the doorway to the pool room.

Pop pop

They were louder now with the glass gone from the door. She covered her ears with her hands and began to shake. She could see shadows running in front of the light that bled into the room and her heart raced. When she heard rumbling her hands fell. She heard the sound of bikes racing out of the court yard, and soon the sound faded.

"SCARLETT!" The broken door flew open and the sound of boots crunching glass then pounding on the hard wood echoed through the empty room. She couldn't speak, just sat on the floor shaking. She whimpered as the boots neared. "Scarlett?" The boots got closer and soon she felt someone kneel next to her. A hand landed on her shoulder making her jerk away.

"Scarlett, it's me. Hey, it's okay darlin, it's just me. Look at me." She turned and met Elliott's eyes. They were concerned. She lost it. Tears welled in her eyes and she felt like her throat was closing making it hard to breathe.

"Hey, Hey, you're okay." He grabbed her arms pulling her to her knees and into his chest. Sobs wracked her body. He held her tight, stroking her hair and whispering over and over that she was okay. She heard another set of boots running towards them.

"She's okay." Elliott stated and she heard Tacks voice.

"Get her up to a room. We have church, now."