Chapter 12: Scarlett

She didn't want to get out of the truck. The feeling of dread that came over her when Elliot turned into the cemetery made her want to run for the hills.

"Come on, it's just over there" Elliot pointed off to the left. When he turned to look at her he must have seen the apprehension. "It's alright, you can do this" he said reaching over and placing his hand on hers reassuringly. One deep breath and a head nod later she was walking across the cemetery towards a headstone ordained with a motorcycle engraving.

Lucas Calvin "LC" Tucker
             1956-2018

Another deep breath. Another slow exhale.

"It's not as bad as I thought." She said turning to Elliot. "I thought for sure the world would crash down around me"

"It's not being here, that's not the toughest part." He spoke staring down at the headstone. He pulled out a pack of cigarettes and lit one. The strain of Elliot's voice made her look over at him. "He meant for this to be easier on you. I'm guessing. LC wasn't a public person. It was six months into the cancer, when it really started taking a toll on him that he finally told the brothers. He was adamant about not burdening anyone at all. He didn't want you and Cam to see him that way. He didn't want that to be your last memory of him."

A shiver shot up Scarlett's spine. In her mind she should be falling apart. But she was peaceful here. For the first time, since she was a little girl, she felt her fathers love. Tears pricked at her eyes, and a small smile spread across her face.

"Thank you for bringing me here, and for telling me about him. Give me a minute with him? I'll meet you back at the truck."

Elliott nodded with a knowing look in his eye. Once he was out of ear shot she turned back to the headstone and sat on the grass next to it.
She pulled the letter from her back pocket, peeled the tab open and began to read.

To my little girl,

Everything probably has you pretty confused right now. I hate it had to be this way, but we have to live with the cards we are dealt. I hope that this letter helps you understand how much I truly loved both you and your brother. There hasn't been a single day that I haven't thought about the two of you. I've cherished every memory every day. Your mother, in her own way, thought she was doing right by you. This life wasn't great back then, a lot has changed. But you're here now, and I hope you stick around awhile and get to know this magic city and the club as it is today. I hope you give this part of my life another chance. Enclosed are the deeds to my home, our home, and the diner. You and Cam are the new owners.

I love you my beautiful Scarlett girl.

Always,
Dad

Scarlett's hands fell and tears dropped onto the pages. Now was when she felt the crumbling begin. Her heart shattered. His love for her was so pure and her mother's heart was so cold. The tears came freely and so did the apologies. She hugged her fathers head stone and begged for his forgiveness for not being where she should have been, where he needed her to be.

She cried for what seemed like hours until no more tears would come. Finally pulling herself together, she walked back to the truck where Elliott was silently waiting. He didn't speak, didn't even look at her. His hand just landed on hers on the seat and she held onto it as if it would give her strength.

"How about that drink?" She sniffled and wiped her eyes once more.

"Your wish is my command sugar" Elliott said turning out of the cemetery towards the club house.