Chapter 16: Scarlett

She woke to her phone vibrating. Only vaguely noticing the empty bed beside her before reaching over to answer the call. It was an unknown number. Most likely Cameron. She wasn't sure if she was ready for this conversation. He didn't know anything about where she was or that their father had died. She hesitated before swiping the phone screen to pick up the call.

"Hello?"

"Hey baby sister, did I wake you?" He chuckled at her groggy morning voice.

"Yes actually, ass. How are you?" She said swinging her feet to the floor. The cold hardwood made her shiver.

"It's hot as hell and I'd kill someone over a McDonald's cheeseburger. But other than that I'm alright. What's got you sleeping till lunch time?"

"Well, I have to tell you something.."

"That doesn't sound good. Are you okay?" His voice turned serious.

She began to explain to him the happenings of the last few days, leaving out the drunk she pitched and the biker she tried to jump on. The sun shone through the open blinds on every window in the house which didn't help the hangover and made it that much harder to function. Coffee was brewing by the time her monologue was over. When Cameron spoke again she couldn't quite tell how he was feeling. His voice was strained and he had to clear his throat to continue.

"So you're there now? With his club?" He sighed heavily as if he was struggling to process everything she had said.

"No I'm at his house, our house now. He left us both his home and a diner that he owned here in town. Tank and his son have been helping out since I got here."

"Elliott?"

"Yeah, Elliott. You remember him?" Cameron had been a few years older than her so it didn't surprise her that he had more memories than she did, which oddly caused jealousy to bubble up in her chest.

"Kind of. Not well but we used to hang out when we were kids. Look I hate to rush off the phone but there are other guys waiting to use the phone, I'll call back as soon as I can. Scarlett, please be careful. Love you."

When the phone disconnected she walked back into the bedroom with her coffee and climbed back into the bed. She scanned the channels on the flatscreen hanging on the wall but quickly bored of the daytime tv in Louisiana she reached for her phone to send a text to Elliott.

It took Elliott two hours to reply.

Elliott: club business.

Scarlett: sorry about last night🤦🏻‍♀️

No reply.

Hours later Scarlett had convinced herself that Elliott now hated her. She felt like a complete idiot. What was she thinking? Why was she thinking it?

He was drool worthy, and he had made her feel like she was in control of this mess of a life she currently had. And frankly she just needed the distraction. But now she felt alone. Which is exactly where she didn't want to be. The thoughts invaded and the emotions took over. Surrounded by LC's belongings made it that much harder. She felt weak, which she normally wasn't. She felt lost, which also wasn't her usual. These were all foreign feelings. Life had taken such a crazy turn.

She found herself cross legged on the floor of the small living room a while later surrounded by old photos and news paper clippings when the front door opened.