Doubts

(Y/N) lay still in her bed. The bandages around her neck became even more uncomfortable. She was glad to leave the infirmary earlier that day, but this wasn't any better. She turned to her side and looked at the door, silently wishing Steve would barge through it and rescue her from her boredom.

"What am I doing? I'm pitiful." She said as she rolled onto her back. A knock was audible from the doorway. "What?" She asked groggily. Clint opened the door a slight bit and peeked in. "Hey, Pup. Dinner's ready. Tony made me get you." The (h/c)ette groaned before rolling from her bed and planting her feet on the ground.

"Damn, you look terrible." (Y/N) snarled. "Don't gotta rub it in Barton." She barked. Clint flinched at her tone. "Are you okay? You're suddenly not yourself." (Y/N) huffed. "I'm sorry. I'm just a bit agitated." Clint nodded and patted her on the shoulder. "Let's go eat. You're probably hangry." (Y/N) smiled and followed Clint into the kitchen.

The team greeted the two with a smile. Natasha was dishing food onto everybody's plate. (Y/N) sat at the dining table between Steve and Bruce. Bruce sent a friendly smile towards (Y/N) before chowing down on his meal. Steve passed the ketchup with a knowing smile. "Ketchup for the dame?" (Y/N) laughed at the inside joke. "Surely you've talked to a woman before?" Steve laughed in return. The two ate and laughed with the rest of the group.

Dinner had ended. Steve and (Y/N) went back to (Y/N)'s room. The two sat on (Y/N)'s couch and proceeded to watch TV. What's funny is that neither friend was actually watching the show. "I remember when Bucky had to save your ass in that alleyway behind the theater." (Y/N) boasted. Steve laughed. "And in the parking lot, and backstr-" (Y/N) cut him off with laughter.

"What about we watch Shazam?" Steve laughed and nodded. "Why not?" He pain then changed the channel to DC comic's Shazam!. Steve looked down at his childhood friend. 'It's nice to have her back. Don't screw it up this time, Rodgers.'

(Y/N) glanced at Steve from the corner of her eye. 'We're just friends.. I could never replace Peggy, could I?"