Bad Memories

As soon as the Avengers could pinpoint Klaue's location, they were suited up and on the Quinjet. "Stark is a sickness." Ultron was heard saying. Ironically, Tony, Steve, Thor, and (Y/N) dropped fro above. "Ahh, junior. You're gonna break your old mans heart." Tony said, sarcasm lacing his voice. The enhanced twins who (Y/N) had only met once stood behind Ultron. She glanced between the two, wondering what drove them to side with that sadistic, killer robot. 

"If I have to." Ultron sassed, looking at his creator. 

"Nobody has to break anything." Thor spoke up. (Y/N) glanced at Tony, waiting for some smartass comment. "Clearly you've never made an omelet." Ultron responded. 'Like father like son.' (Y/N) thought to herself. "You beat me by one second." Tony said mainly to himself, earning a slight snicker from (Y/N). Steve, who was standing next to her, nudged her with his elbow slightly, making her shut up.

"Ah, yes he's funny. Mr Stark, it's what? Comfortable? Like old times?" The male twin asked, walking forward slightly and glancing at missiles that were a level below them. Tony looked down at the missiles as well. "This was never my life." Steve stepped forward.

"You two can still walk away from this." Steve said to the twins.

"Oh, we will." The female spoke, a coy smile on her face. "I know you've suffered." Steve said, trying to trigger something in her mind that makes her realize what she was doing was wrong.  "Uuughh! Captain America. God's righteous man, pretending you could live without a war. I can't physically throw up in my mouth, but..." Ultron feigned being grossed out by Steve, earning a harsh glare from (Y/N). 

"If you believe in peace, then let us keep it." Thor said. "I think you're confusing peace with quiet." Ultron responded with a smart-ass tone. " Yuh-huh. What's the Vibranium for?" Tony asked motioning his head towards the metal. "I'm glad you asked that, because I wanted to take this time to explain my evil plan!" Lazer beams shot out of Ultron's fingers, throwing Tony to the wall. Thor, Steve, and (Y/N) jumped out of the way. Tony shot forward and began to battle Ultron. Iron Legions entered the room and started attacking the team, even finding the ones that were scattered around as backup. 

(Y/N) unholstered(?) her guns and started shooting down legionnaires. She didn't notice one behind her. It managed to get it's robotic arm around her neck and tighten it's hold, making it hard for her to breathe. She used the wall next to her and run up and over the legionnaire. She used the advantaged to twist it's head off and throw it to the floor. 

In the blink of an eye, she was pinned to the wall. Her (E/C) eyes met icy blue ones. The male twin smiled at her before her thinking became funny and she felt her body fall to the floor. The next thing she sees is her old house in Brooklyn. The one she could just barely afford coming out of the Great Depression. The air outside seemed still. The creaky house made no noise. The only sound was the ticking of her grandfather clock that was given to her by her mother and the radio, playing any news about the war. 

She sat on the sofa, in her 40's dress and a book in her hands. Stuart Little. A child's story, sure, but it gave her comfort, reminded her of simpler times. She walks towards herself, her "younger" self shall we say. She glanced at the radio and listened to the broadcast. 1945... Her heart dropped. "The legendary war hero, Captain America, becomes something for the history books today as he sacrifices his life by diving a Nazi aircraft that was en route to bomb many major cities into the arctic ocean." (Y/N) watched herself break. The book clattered to the floor and her face paled. Tears proceeded to stream down her cheeks at the loss of the only person she had left and her first love. 

Sadness filled the modern (Y/N). She remembered this day. It felt as if her world was torn apart. She fell into a depression, one that she may be grateful for now but the years following that day were less than pleasant.

She noticed herself fade from the hated memory only to wake up in a chair in the Quinjet, leaning against Steve. She looked at him and her eyes began to water. She clung to him for dear life, afraid that if she let go he would disappear. He looked to her with concern and wrapped his arms around her. "Are you alright doll? That vision seemed to really affect you." Steve said softly, not pushing her to talk about it. 

"It was a bad memory. The day you went into the ice. I can still feel the pain from that day, even though you're right here in front of me. I broke. I was manipulated to join Hydra, the group that essentially killed you. It's hard to know that I helped the group you swore to destroy." (Y/N) said somberly. Her voice was muffled by her nuzzling her face in his chestplate, trying to be as close to him as possible to remind herself he was there and he was alive. Her tears left wet spots on his suit, but he couldn't care less. He stroked her head in a comforting manner and focused on cheering her up instead. "There's no hard feelings. I know you weren't mentally right when you joined, and they also brainwashed you when you were at your lowest. If anything, it's Hydra's fault and not yours."

(Y/N) sniffled. "I guess you're right." She looked at him and he wiped away some of her tears. He smiled softly at her, "What matters is you're here with me now." She smiled back at him. "Yeah, and I plan on staying with you." 

"You with me until the end of the line?" Steve asks, holding up a pinky and grinning like a dork. 

(Y/N) laughed and pinky swore with him. "I'm with you until the end of the line. You're stuck with me."