Chapter 3

Destroyer

I sat in the jet, waiting for my partner. We were just assigned a mission, we had to take out a European leader. I don't know who he is or what he did, all i know is we need him gone. No witnesses, no trail. That's all I'm ever told.

My partner got in the jet. He sat down in the pilots seat. He had shoulder length black hair, a mask on his lower face, and hidden wepons all over his body. The most prominent feature was the missing left sleeve on his black jacket, and the metal arm it revealed.

The winter soldier had been assigned to me. He's the best assassin in all of Hydra. He was assigned to train me, to make me as good as him. I would say that he's been pretty successful at his assignment. After all, I've been working for Hydra for almost two years and I've never failed an assignment.

Winter Soldier
Time skip

Me and the kid just got back from our mission. There was something about him, something special. We were supposed to report to the gym to train, but he wasn't there.

After 5 minutes the guard on duty told me to find him. I went to his last know location, his bracket. At first i didn't see anything, that was until i heard his ragged breathing.

I ran into the attached bathroom and found my partner on the floor bleeding. Part of the roof had collapsed and there was ruble on his chest and right arm/shoulder.

I sat next to him and hit his face gently. "Come on kid, stay with me." His eyes opened slightly and locked on to mine.

"Winter" he rasped. His voice was full of pain and barely above a whisper.

"Yeah kid, I'm here. Just stay with me and we'll get you out of here." I wasn't going to risk moving the rubble, and cause more damage.

"I found Destroyer." I said into my comms. "He's injured and trapped under rubble." I gave our location, and focused back on the kid.

His eyes started to close, so i patted his face again. "Come on kid. Help is on it's way, just stay awake." He let out a low moan, but managed to keep his eyes open.

After a few more minutes, a group of medics came into the room. I got up and let them remove the rubble. They moved the kid onto a stretcher and carried him out of the room.

There were so many people around him that i couldn't get a good look at him. But one thing was clear, whatever happened wasn't an accident.

Time Skip

After 38 hours i was finally allowed to see the kid. I walked into the room he was being kept in and saw him laying on an operation table. His face was covered in scratches and he didn't have a shirt on. There were bandages wrapped around his right shoulder and the stub that was once his arm. His right arm had been amputated. The rubble had sliced through bone, and tendons. There was too much damage to repair, so it had to be removed.

"Hey kid" I said getting his attention.

He looked up panicked, but visibly calmed when he saw it was me. "Winter. What's going on, no one will tell me anything."

I sigh, "Things are a little messy right now, we're still trying to figure all of this out." We knew he got shot, but we have no idea how. He was in his room 50 stories underground. No one should of been able to get to him.

I sat on the edge of his bed. "Is there anything you can tell me. Anything you remember? Where the shooter was, what he looked like, where he went? Anything at all."

He lifted his left hand and rubbed his face. "I didn't see him till after I got shot. He looked young but his hood was up so I couldn't really see his face. Then the other guy grabbed his arm and they were gone."

"Other guy?"

He nods, "Yeah, there was the shooter and this dude with a blue rope hanging off his belt. He had a mask on so I couldn't see his face."

I nod, "Did you see where they went?"

The kid sighs, "It was weird. They just disappeared. They were there one moment then gone the next."

I shake my head, "That's not possible. You probably just passed out for a minute."

"No," there was determination in his voice, "they disappeared in a blue smoke. The guy with the rope grabbed the shooters arm and they both disappeared."

I rub my face, I knew there was one possibility but the odds of it were close to nothing.

"Winter," I look up at the kid, "I think he was a mutant. There was no other way."

I stand up and look at the kid who I see as a brother, and I realize he's right. The mutants are back, and they're after Hydra.