Chapter 8

Destroyer

"We have to find him!" I stand up walk over to my bag. I stuff the few things laying on the ground into it.

Winter got up and placed his hand on my shoulder. "Calm down. We aren't going anywhere yet."

"Why not?" I demand.

"We still don't have a car, and won't until tomorrow. And kid, they may know who you are, but you don't. You still don't have any of your memories."

I shake his arm off of my shoulder and plop down on one of the beds. I knew he was right but I couldn't stand not doing anything. "How am I supposed to get my memories back. My brain had been through a blender Winter. You know sometimes I can't even stop myself from attacking you."

Winter sits down next to me. "We'll figure it out. I'm going to get you home, I promise."

Time Skip three days
Winter

The kid was driving now, and I was trying to think of a way to get his memories back. I know that cognitive recalibration would get someone back into their right mind when they have been brainwashed, but I don't know what can restore memories that were taken during it.

I decided that this would be a problem for another time. I finally closed my eyes and let myself fall asleep.

Time Skip

I woke to a loud crash. I heard screams but I couldn't tell where they were coming from. I opened my eyes and it took me a minute to realize I was upside down.

"Winter! Winter I'm stuck help." Frantic cries reached my ears. It was the kid. But I've never heard his so crazed.

Using my left arm I got my knife out of my pocket and cut myself free from my seat belt. I fell to the roof/ground with a bang. I got on my knees and crawled over to the kid.

His eyes were wide and he was taking quick shallow breaths. He was flaring around and I could tell that his leg was bleeding.

I grabbed his shoulder, "Calm down. Stay still and I'll get you down." He nodded faintly but his eyes still showed panic.

I used the knife to cut away his seat belt and I caught his in my arms bridal style. With my left shoulder I got the driver door open and got both of us out of the car.

There was a crowd of people around our car. I could hear police sirens in the distance. There were two other cars that were damaged, but our was the worst.

Someone tried to grab the kid from me but I wouldn't let them. People tried to talk to me, but I heard none of it. I knew that if the police got to us we would be in trouble, but I also knew the kid needed medical attention, and we had no was to escape.

Finally I set him down and got a good look at his leg. It was at a weird angle and gushing blood. He was coughing gasping for air.

I sat him up against my left shoulder and patted his back. "Come on kid, breath." (They both have long sleeves on covering their metal arms)

My right arm was cut slightly but I didn't feel it, I was to distracted by the mess of a boy in front of me.

Police and an ambulance pulled up to the wreck. They took the kid from me immediately. I tried to go after him, but I was held back. I saw them put a mask on his face, and I saw his look of panic as it happened. He's been through to much, I hate all of this.

A medic came to treat my arm and I let her. Multiple officers came over and asked me questions, I told them all the same thing. "I don't know what happened. I was asleep and my son was driving." Finally they stopped asking questions and let me see the kid.

They let me onto the ambulance and then they took off. The kid was asleep and his leg was rapped in gauze. I don't know what freaked him out, but I had to wait till he woke up to find out.

Time Skip
Six hours

I was sitting in the kid's hospital room waiting for him to wake up. And after what felt like an eternity he finally looked over at me. "Winter? What happened?"

I shake my head. "We were in a car wreck. You broke you leg in three places and have a small concussion." I pause for a moment. "I'm not completely sure what happened, but you seemed really panicked, something freaked you out."

He turned his head and looked at his leg for a minute. Finally he looked back at me. "I remembered something. I saw flashes of images, it was quick but definitely there."

I sit up straighter. "Well? What did you remember?"

He paused again, bitting his lip. "I saw an explosion, heard a scream. A woman's scream. I'm not really sure what else but that part was clear. There was also bits about blue lights and holograms. And I saw a face. I think it was Tony Stark, but he looked younger."

I let that sink in. There was a way to get memories back, it wasn't impossible. "That's incredible. Hopefully more things will trigger memories. Then..." I didn't know what then.

"Then we connect the dots. Then we take the next step, whatever that is. But..."

"We take it all one step at a time." I finish. The kid nods.

We just sat and talked for a little while, not about anything at all, but it was good. Good to just talk like normal people and not two wanted men.

I sigh, "We really can't stay here for long. The wreck will most likely be in the news and that will just make it easier for HYDRA to find us. We have to move before they get here."

The kid nods, "One problem, we don't have a car, and I can't exactly walk out of here." He motioned to his leg. "Who did you say we are?"

"Jacob and Issac Lewis still. We can get out of here and get a car then change identity. We get back across the border and get far away. We can go south, away from here."

I had thought through all of this while he had been asleep. It wouldn't be to hard to get out of the hospital. They had brought in crutches earlier so the kid can get out quickly. I can use hydra influence to get a car fast. They already know we are here it won't hurt. We would get as far away as possible. Once we were far enough we would ditch the car because HYDRA would have know the model and license plate. Changed identity and burn our old ones. Leave no trace. We haven't been to good at that recently.