Tell the World I'm Coming Home

Requested by: @amber3900

(This is like after civil war but before infinity war, but Peter is Tony's five-year-old bio son)

(Also Kind of warning?? There's like sort of spoilers for Endgame?? So like maybe don't read it?? It doesn't actually spoil anything, I just use a few lines from Endgame in this)

*

Pepper leans in to press a kiss against Tony's cheek with a sad smile.

"I know it's tough, but I believe in you. You need this kind of closure," she murmurs, fixing his tie with practiced ease. She's been taking care of him for years; she's learned better than anyone how to fix his ties. "I've got meetings all day downstairs, but I'll have my phone on me. If you need anything, you can call."

"And Peter?"

"He'll be on the same floor with me, being watched by Happy," she informs in, resting her soft hand on his cheek with another sad smile. It makes her eyes loose the cold edge that's constantly present, she's not the only one who's had trouble with letting her guard down. "If you need an out, use the codeword and I'll call you and say that I desperately need you in a meeting."

"I'll be okay," the billionaire responds, already building together his façade of smirks and hidden emotions and arrogance. "Tell Peter we're having a movie night tonight. I'm going to need it."

"I love you," Pepper murmurs, shoulders slumping and finally moving her hands away from his face and tie. "You can do this."

"Love you too, Pep."

He sits down in the armchair, swirling the virgin alcohol in the glass. He's two years sober, but they don't know that, nor does he want to tell them that. He takes a sip, hiding the wince that the fizziness of the pop gives him. He wishes it was real alcohol, wishes he could take the edge off his anxiety, but he can't. Not when he's promised Peter a movie night tonight.

"You're not going to say anything?" Steve asks. Even just his voice sends waves of nostalgia and grief flooding over Tony. He doesn't let it show, fixing Steve with a level gaze. "We want to come home, Stark, and you need to help us do that."

Tony stands, forcing himself not to glare at his ex-best friend. He turns his gaze towards Natasha who's leaning against a far wall with forced nonchalance.

"How's being a traitor treating you?" he asks, cold and indifferent.

She doesn't say anything, but the pain in her eyes says enough. At least she's keeping her walls down enough to show just how much this whole ordeal has hurt her.

"I don't need to do anything," he replies, finally turning back on the super-soldier with a tired glare. "I don't need to help you with anything. You're obviously doing just fine on your own. I don't need to do anything for you, Rogers."

The anxiety is rolling in his stomach and he worries he might have to pull out the codeword before he throws up all over Steve's sneakers.

Steve sighs, meeting Tony's glare with a sad smile. It's different to Pepper's. Pepper's had been kind and full of sympathy. Steve's is pure pity.

"You don't need to, but we need you to. We want to come home. This is our home just as much as it is yours," he says, voice missing it's usual strength and confidence. "The only way we can come home is if you help us."

"No pressure though, right?" he says, despising the waver in his tone. He finishes off his glass and checks his watch. It's blinking yellow, a sign that his heartrate is getting higher than it should be. If he doesn't get it under control, it's likely Pepper's going to get the notification from Friday to get her up here. "The thing is, Rogers, I don't care. I don't care that you need my help. I don't care about where your home is or where you want to go. You brought this on yourself."