evermore

For irish_dancer_ and also a vent fic 

*

As a compromise for Tony not being able to pay Peter's tuition to MIT thanks to his full ride, Tony bought an apartment right beside campus for Peter to live in, to ensure no awkward adventures trying to be Spider-Man with a roommate.

Peter's still adamant about getting a job and paying for his food, phone bill, and any other things like clothing or entertainment.

And balancing classes, patrolling, and a job, isn't easy, of course. But it's always been better for him to work hard than to give himself time to think. It's not like his mental health is on hold, but it's easier to put it aside when he's got so much to do all the time.

It doesn't help that he's also on the debate team thanks to MJ, and in the robotics club thanks to Ned.

When November rolls around and it brings the final projects, Peter pushes himself to the limit to keep up with everything.

He starts dropping his sleep to only a nap whenever he can squeeze it in, working all afternoon, classes all morning, and Spider-Man all night, and he starts making up excuses for anything that isn't a number one priority.

He stops seeing his friends, stops calling May back, stops replying to Tony's worried texts, stops helping out with his professors or the librarian or his classmates. He stops cleaning his apartment, letting dishes pile up on the counters and laundry go unwashed.

It's bad, and he knows that, rationally and logically, he knows.

But that doesn't stop him from doing it anyway.

Three weeks, he tells himself.

And he keeps pushing.

MJ shows up at his apartment out of the blue when he's studying away, and he barely manages to clear the fog in his head to stumble for the door.

"I can't talk right now," he says before she can even say hello. "I've gotta study for my physics exam."

"No, you've gotta chill the fuck out."

He shakes his head, leaving the door open as he turns his back and heads into his kitchen for a quick snack so he can get back to his work. "No, I have to study."

"Oh my god, you live in a garbage dump," she says, eyes going wide as she takes in the state of his apartment. "When was the last time you washed a dish? Or, gross, your hair?"

He doesn't bother responding, rolling his eyes and downing a protein bar. "Two weeks, now, and then I'm done for a month."

"At this rate, I don't know if you'll make it through the next two weeks."

Peter can't help but roll his eyes again, part of him hating how much he's lashing out despite wanting help, needing help, but unable to find the strength to stop it from happening as he brushes past her again.

"I know you're stressed, I know you're anxious about exams and papers and labs, but, seriously, Peter?" she says, following him to where he's working in the living room, papers and binders and textbooks strewn across every surface. "You're a genius, okay? You've been getting excellent grades all year. The only reason you might not do well on these projects is because you're working yourself to death."

He shakes his head, feeling very suddenly like he might cry. "It's not that easy. Just... I don't want to deal with this right now, okay?"

MJ doesn't take that as a good answer, though, sitting beside him on the old couch. "I know you, okay? I know you better than most people do. I've seen you in some of the worst states you've been in. I know this. You can't pretend that this is okay or normal or that this is you doing fine. I don't believe it for a second."