Blood On Our Hands

The next morning

I was awoken by the sweet smell of eggs and bacon then something being placed on me. I opened my eyes to see my bed buddy with a tray in his hands "Mornin' early bird" he raised and eyebrow at me then smiled "well since your out of commission, I had to step up. The day has just begun and I'm already struggling, how'd you do it?" I stroked his cheek "I have you, it's like archery, or walking. You take one step and get it out the way then you move on to the next one, you don't redo the last one or let it cloud that beautiful mind of yours, just move on. It's like...when you shoot an arrow, you pull your arm back, breathe, pierce the target with your eye and release your hand, you don't worry about it because if you make a mistake, you can't change it. But having someone to go to and worry with, that helps" I bit into a piece of bacon "Spread eagle do takeaways?" He gestured to outside "they heard your screams last night, Pastor told them what's happened and they said they'd deliver breakfast, and for free" he cut his egg and smile for "you know I'm always down for free food"

He was sat in a chair next to the bed eating when a random guy burst in "your that 'owl' kid, you're her?" I nodded "Nick Rye from Rye and Sons aviation. I heard you spied on that son of a bitch John Seed, What's the bunker like?" I shrugged "um, it's big and heavily guarded, there's a security office but John's the only one with a key. Its similar to an air raid bunker but that thing, who knows how many bombs it could take? I don't recommend going there" I pulled back the blanket to show the bandaged bullet wound "unlike anywhere else, they shoot on sight" he gestured to my gun "then we shoot first!" I sighed "that's where this got me, I fired back but it was 20-1, the odds were far from even" I adjusted my cushion and laid back "then we even the odds" I raised an eyebrow at him "can you honestly tell me you know a lot of people who would rather fight than save their own skin, more than falls end?" He sighed "I was hoping you did" I looked at newt "can we get some boys out there, look for people who won't just roll over to save their family?" He contemplated then went to ask them.

The guy with the aviators went after him so I decided to finish my breakfast and try and stand. I used my bow as a crutch and hobbled outside earning a glare from my fellow medjacks, I ignored them and smiled at Newt "So?" He folded his arms frustratedly "they're scared since what happened to you" I raised an eyebrow "what happened to the 'girls aren't man enough to go out there'?" He looked me up and down disapprovingly "you happened, you went into the maze and came back out, Day after day" I bit my lip and started towards the exit when he grabbed my arm "I can take you getting injured as long as I'm there but I draw the line at you being injured and leaving camp, don't you dare cross that line Hope" I looked around to see if anyone saw or heard but no one did so I shrugged him off "I can't sit here forever, there's something I can't figure out" he pointed to Thomas who was stuffing his face with food "I'll be fine Newt, trust me, you've got nothing to worry about" I could see the worry painted on his face and i hated leaving him in this state but I couldn't sit still and I knew that if I brought people with me, they would die too.

 I used my bow as a crutch and hobbled outside earning a glare from my fellow medjacks, I ignored them and smiled at Newt "So?" He folded his arms frustratedly "they're scared since what happened to you" I raised an eyebrow "what happened to the '...

I stood there gazing distantly into the white froth of the waterfall, something about the water felt so calming and calling me in, as if all my troubles would wash away as soon as I went under. There was just something so ethereal about it, like I was staring at a movie and just playing my favourite scene back again and again. Mindlessly my bow dropped to the floor and my feet shakily stumbled forward. Once I was in the middle, I closed my eyes and put my arms out then let my body go limp and flop back into the water, and waited for my misery to disappear but it never did, just as I was about to get up and leave, I saw a dark shape and something hold me up, I heard a sharp hiss and another dark shape leap into the frame "fucking peggies! They got you too peaches?" As the woman was distracted, I launched myself up and flung myself around her neck and pulled her down with me. We struggled for a while until she jabbed me hard in the stomach forcing me to release and struggle for air. I felt something tugging on my sleeve dragging me out off the water. Something soft brushed against me "holy shit!" Water spilled out of my mouth making me cough and turn on my side "you ok?" I glared at her "you just tried to drown me, how do you think I am?" She shrugged and helped me up "you can't be too careful with peggies" she watched peaches carefully "she's with me" I suddenly heard a load of trucks roll by and caught glimpse of the cult symbol "where are those trucks headed?" She turned and watched them "falls end probably" with that I snatched my bow from the floor and sprinted limping for camp to warn the about the incoming forces.

But I was too late. When I got there, conflict had begun, blood had been spilled, a seal has been opened. I couldn't do anything but stare, everything inside told me to rush forward and defend those I love but I couldn't, something was stopping me. Then I saw someone holding a throwing knife aiming for Newt. Without a second thought, I sprinted in front of him and felt something plunge into my stomach.

Newt's POV

I watched as Hope dashed in front of me only to take a throwing knife to the stomach "Hope!" I dropped to my knees and caught her limp body, I didn't care that her name drew attention or revealed her true family, I loved her and she had just died protecting me "The Whitetail Militia...the mountains" I panicked as her breaths grew raspy, a few gladers shouted 'the owl has fallen!' and 'Hope's down!' I whistled for them to retreat but held Hope close to me in her dying moments "Newt...do you remember the first time we danced...together?" I smiled at her attempt of small talk "you said you didn't dance but I didn't take no for an answer" I saw the blood pooling on the concrete below her "this is gonna sound dumb but I'm scared Newt...like I don't wanna die scared" I clutched her, I'd wanted her to die in peace and not afraid but that just wasn't the case, Hope was bloody terrified of death, always had been but she'd never shown it like she was now, pure terror in the depths of her eyes and her hands gripping for life "you'll be okay, don't be scared. For all you know it could be a brand new adventure waiting up there for you, hunting deer through white forests with an elated expression on your face. And I'll join you soon enough"

She turned her head into my chest "I won't have you, I won't have anyone or any family waiting for me" I stroked her hair gently "that's never stopped you before, think of it like the glade, you go up and you make a stand for yourself then hope you'll see someone you know up there, you'll see Chuck and all those we've lost. Maybe even your parents?" I could feel her shaking, I glanced up and saw her brothers strolling towards us, I felt her body stop moving and feared the worst but when I looked down, she was watching them carefully "Jacob?" The red headed man nodded "I remember little bits but most of everything is gone but it's coming back" she tried to sit up but she couldn't "Take it easy Hope" she placed a hand on my cheek "I see you've met Newt" they nodded and grunted as they crouched down "it's a little late for the 'overprotective fatherly figure speech' but your welcome to try" she stretched her hand out to her brother in the dark aviators "I'm sorry about what I said, weak and all that. I didn't mean it" her arm that was holding her up faltered and she fell back into my lap.

Suddenly her head dropped and her eyes slid closed "She's perfect" I gazed up at her middle brother with the yellow glasses "is there anything you can do to save her?" He took her into his arms gently staring at her face "you made the right choice son" I gestured to her "will she live?" He looked up at me gracefully "only god can decide that" 'Jacob' patted my shoulder before the three of them stood and walked away with her in 'The Father's' arms as he hummed a soft song I didn't recognise. When i finally stood, darkness had fallen and realisation had settled in that I'd just turned the woman I loved over to the cult and would probably never see her again, so I would do ask she asked, take the gladers to the mountains and find the militia.