New Commands

The next morning
I awoke to find a note slipped under my door, I climbed out into the cold, bent down and slipped the paper into my fingers and let my eyes scan the room then the words in the page. 'Hope, you have found your faith with us. Now it is time for you to spread the word, prepare to leave for Maine...The reaping has begun - Joseph' I smirked as my plan slowly began to fall into place. I got changed into the hidden part of my wardrobe making sure I wore nothing that didn't follow the rules of Joseph's word.

I made sure my cult necklace hung visibly around my neck showing I was proud of my family and what we were trying to do here. Satisfied with how I looked, I finished getting ready for the day and started to go downstairs. I froze for a moment as I spotted Joseph outside preaching to our followers. I continued down the stairs with a slight smile and stood my ground outside watching the scene play out before my eyes like some kind of pantomime a child would watch with innocent eyes.

I didn't feel John sneak up behind me "It would seem the father has returned to us" I jumped and turned around "in less than a day, it would seem that way. Word is that the reaping has begun?" H stood proudly with his hands folded behind his back "You doubt the father?" I gave him a side glance "John, you know I'd never. I just didn't think it would be so soon, but the lord gives us the time he knows we need, I won't argue with him, or the father" he saw him smile at the floor "I can smell your fear from here, dear sister, tell me, what concerns you?" I sighed and folded my arms protectively "first of all, you are stood right next to me. Secondly, my main concern is that we won't be able to do what needs to be done in the time the lord has given us to do it in. It's not my place to wonder, therefore I'm trying not to think about it" I knew the reaping started a while ago or at least that's what I heard but now everything is really kicking off with a bang! One a little too loud for my ears too bare, I guess I stood too close.

John was normally very understanding in these matters, Jacob would normally tell me something along the lines of 'toughen up' but that's the way he was. He did go through war and juvenile prison so who can blame him? "Curiosity killed the cat" I raised my eyebrows "are we sure it wasn't a car? Hope County sinners aren't the most perfect drivers" before either of us could let another word of the matter slip into the air, Joseph strolled over calm as always "its good to see you returned to us. And quick of you to jumpstart the 'other plan' we discussed" he gently pressed our foreheads together as he did normally with the other family members.

"You inspired something in me child, and you have shown me your faith and dedication to this family therefore you are rewarded with love, kindness and opportunities to do the same for others" he moved onto John as some peggies loaded up a pickup truck, and a van. Jacob came and handed me my quiver and bow with a sniper rifle strapped to it, I saw other weapons being loaded into the vehicles. I thanked him and slung the weapons onto my back, headed back in and slipped a few knives into my pockets. Normally wherever we go, people don't take kindly to us taking their stuff, or their family members, or their friends or us just being there to be fair. As I strode back out, the cars were filled with bliss flowers and I was handed a radio.

I honestly felt ready for anything as I said goodbye to the family and prayed with them for my 'safe' return, when was anything we did 'safe'? I climbed onto the back of the pickup truck with a stack of Joseph's word books piled next to me, I had a list of residents I had to deliver them to and the ones I had to give personally. I just stared at the compound as the truck pulled away and the place slowly shrunk into the distance. I wasn't ashamed to say that after a little while I fell asleep in the back of the truck.