Lazurite

Scientific Makeup: A silicate of sodium calcium and aluminum, with some sulfur. A member of the sodalite family. Color ranges in shades ofblue from violet blue and azure blue thru greenish-blue. Distinguished from sodalite by its deeper colorand fine grain. Softer and lighter in weight than lazulite. Dull to greasy appearance. Streak is pale blue. Hardness is 5 - 5 1/2.

Environment: Rare. Forms in association with pyrite,calcite, and diopside in hornfels of contact metamorphic rocks.

Found in: Rare mineral in North America, but it occurs on Italian Mt. in the Sawatch Mts. of Colorado, on Ontario Peak in the San Gabriel Mts., Los Angeles, and in Cascade Canyon in the San Bernardino Mts., California. Afghanistan, Russia, and Chile.

Name: Arabic. Derived from the word "lazaward", which means heaven.

Magick and Legend: A favorite stone of the Egyptians. Burned and ground to form the pigment "ultramarine". Associated with altered states of consciousness and trance work. Sometimes used as a birthstone for December. Used in rituals to attract spiritual love. One of the best stones for boosting psychic awareness.

Healing: Aids the pituitary gland. Helps heal the eyes, ears, nose, and brain. Used to ease childbirth. Strengthens the skeletal system.