T H 1 R T E E N

"CLAIRE WE HAVE NEW RULES" Lainie Jensen said sternly as she placed Claire's bag on the ground, "door stays open at all times except when showering or you know- peeing" she said and looked up at her husband, signaling for him to speak.

"Yeah, what your mother said. Oh and we will take notice of who you're hanging out with- matter of fact- no more Scott" Matt Jensen said folding his arms.

"Da-"

"No, Claire. He's too toxic for you" Matt said, his blue eyes piercing into his daughters.

"Fine" Claire angrily said gripping the ends of her hair harshly, "is it okay if I just lay in my bed then- you know, alone?"

"Door open please!" Lainie yelled at the girl who stomped upstairs, groaning loudly.

"Mom" Clay said walking into the house, followed by Justin, "we're going to go ou-"

"No! You guys are staying here. Your dad and I need a night out" Lainie said with a stressed look, "please, I'll pay you guys both twenty dollars"

Both Justin and Clay nodded their heads slowly and watched as their parents swiftly walked out the house.

-

"Clay?" Claire called out.

Currently, it was seven in the morning. Claire has slept throughout the night and she was confused on why her parents weren't home this early.

"Yeah?" Clay groaned as he opened his bedroom door.

"Wheres mom and dad?"

"They went out last night. I'm sure they rented a hotel room for the night or crashed somewhere" Clay said shrugging his shoulders, "hey, are you okay about going to school?"

Claire took a second to think then nodded her head, "Scott and I are going to hang out during lunch" she said with a small smile, "don't tell dad"

Clay chuckled and just nodded his head, "I won't" he said softly and closed his bedroom door once again.

Claire quickly got ready and ran into school after parking her car. She was determined to talk to most of her teachers about the work she had missed and needed to make up.

She passed Bryce in the hallway, causing the girl to run to the closest bathroom an breath heavily with her eyes clothes.

"Come on, Claire. You can do this" she whispered to herself and walked slowly out of the bathroom.

Claire looked around for Scott and ran to his side when she finally eyed him down, "Scott!" She yelled getting his attention.

"Hey, champ. How are you?" he said placing his psych book into his locker.

"Good, let's skip school. Just you and-" she began but quickly got cut off by the laughter of Scott's team mates.

"Don't forget about us, Scotty" Montgomery yelled out 'owing' at the Jensen girl.

Scott scoffed and rolled his eyes at his friends, "sorry about that" he said quietly and looked down at the girl, "I can't skip today"

"Why not? You skip every other day" Claire said anxiously.

"Claire, I have tests. I have to stay-"

"You won't skip if it is with me, but you'll skip with one of your rapist friends?" Claire shouted making the hallway go silent, her brother and Justin in her eye sight, "you know what- forget about it" she said and walked away.

"Wait-" Scott said grabbing her wrist and looking down, seeing the stitches that covered her arm from a couple nights before.

"I know you're going through something right now but acting out and hurting yourself isn't the way to fix it" Scott said softly, his eyes softening, "I'm here for you, always, but this isn't you"

"Well I guess you don't know the real me then, Scotty" Claire said angrily as she ripped her arm from Scott's grip and walking toward her first period class.

"Claire come on!" He yelled following her out, "stop-"

"Fuck off. Don't you get it, you're still friends with him. You're- it's like you're protecting him"

"I'm not protecting him, he's my teammate. I can't just abandon him," Scott said defensively and looked down at the girl.

Claire sighed loudly, "I think we should break up then," she scoffed, "I can't be with someone who prioritizes baseball and Bryce over their girlfriend".

Scott laughed in the girls face and just looked at her, "isn't that what Jeff did before he died?"

Claire's eyes welled with tears as she threw a punch at Scott's chest, "the second Jeff heard about the little stunt his baseball team did, he would've quit. Not because of me, but because he knows right from wrong" Claire turned around and walked away leaving Scott pondering.