11

Miles POV:
The adults didn't even have to say anything for me to know why they were here. Especially with the face my Mum was pulling.

Olivia, however, had no idea. Because I hadn't let her.
"What's going on? She asked cautiously striding into the kitchen, propping her crutches up against the table as she sat. I stayed back, wanting the ground to swallow me right there.
I had had a great day, so great that I hoped everything could have just ended at that moment so nothing had to come crashing down.
Emily spared me a few minutes from the inevitable as she raised a hand to stop anyone from answering Olivia's question.
"Medication first." She replied sliding over a glass of water and a couple of pills. I held my breath as Olivia took them knowing once they were swallowed the worst was to come.

"Take a seat Miles." Mr Simpson spoke to me as if we were in his office and not the Pomegray kitchen. Since when did he do house calls anyway?

"I wanted to talk to you about attendance

"I wanted to talk to you about attendance." He started, looking between us, once I'd sat. As he said it I swallowed. It had begun.

Olivia jumped in immediately, prickling with defence.
"I'm off for good reason! I've been signed off by my doctor and everything, Dad tell him."

He looked at me grimly. My eyes could only bare to meet his briefly.

"Actually

"Actually... Olivia, he's not talking about your week off. He talking about Miles'."  He didn't wanna say it as much as  I didn't want to hear it.

She looked over at me, I couldn't look at her but out of the corner of my eye, I could see how she changed emotions as she was making sense of everything.

"You said you had free periods." She accused in a quiet voice that made my heart ache. I played with my hands in my lap.

"I do."

"Mr Hollingsworth, as a senior at Degrassi you are advised to take only a maximum of 5 free periods over the course of 2 weeks where you stay in school. This first week alone you've had 12 including today where, according to my registers, you never showed up. All in all, you've missed 17 hours of work, I know it may not seem important now but that could be the difference between passing your exams at the end of the year or not. You understand my concern?"  Mr Simpson asked me seriously.