xxv.

two years later

"are you ready?" ryan nudged him as the music started. "here she comes."

chase nodded slowly, lifting his eyes to watch as she floated down the aisle, escorted by his dad, like a dream. his dream. his dream come true.

tears welled in his eyes. they had gone through so much and somehow they had made it through. she had always been his rock and now, she was going to be his wife.

they stopped in front of the alter, chase extending his hand out to her. she smiled as she slipped her hand into his.

"family and friends, welcome. today, we are here to bear witness the union of william clyde elliott and kathryn claire trice." the minister started.

chase tuned him out, only focused on the beauty that was before him. she was a vision in white, a skirt flowing up neckline shaped like a v, lace sleeves covering her arms. her mother's veil hung from her loose curls.

chase's heart pounded as kathryn claire slipped her hands into his, her big eyes looking at him expectantly. he knew that meant it was time to read the vows he had written for her.

chase's hand shook a little as he reached up and grabbed the folded piece of paper that he had tucked into his suit pocket. he hoped that she couldn't see the shake in his hand as he unfolded the paper but judging by the reassuring squeeze she gave him, she probably could.

he let out a shaky breath. he had spent weeks working on his vows, trying to perfect them, to mold his vows into everything he needed and wanted to promise kathryn claire. "i met you in the lowest part of my life and you waltzed in and made me feel alive again. you have been by my side through the wins, the championship, through all the triumphs of my career. but you've also been by my side through the heartbreak and the scariness that has also transpired. you are my rock, my very best friend." he paused, chuckling at the scoffing of ryan behind him. "i promise to always love you and support you in wherever life takes you -- even if it's to Team Penske. i promise to always be present even when our careers take us all over the country... one time you told me that before we met, you had been lonely before we had met. kathryn claire, i promise that no matter what you will never feel that loneliness. for as long as i'm alive, you will not be alone anymore."

chase finally looked up from his paper to see kathryn claire wiping a few tears from the corners of her eyes. "i love you today, tomorrow and every day untl the end of time."

kathryn claire mouthed, "i love you too," back to chase before taking a piece of paper that was handed to her. she unfolded it, chase's stomach knotted in anticipation to what she was going to say.

"chase, when we met, i had no idea where this would lead. surely, i had no idea that chase elliott -- the one driver i could confidently say that i didn't like -- would end up becoming my best friend, my rock, my whole world. the road to this moment has been twisty and hard but i would not want to have done any of this with anybody else." chase felt tears sting his eyes. he reached up, wiping a stray tear that had escaped. his heart swelled for love with kathryn claire -- of all the things in his life that he had done, he was most sure about spending the rest of his life with her.

kathryn claire continued to speak, " chase, i promise to love you in good times and in bad. when it is easy and especially when it is hard. through triumphs and tragedy, i promise to always be here." she paused, letting out a shaky breath, "I'll see you through the rain, through the heartache and the pain. i promise that you are not alone any more. i love you with all my heart."

kathryn claire squeezed chase's hands, a smile dancing on her lips as the minister shuffled a few papers before starting to speak.

"chase, do you take kathryn claire to be your lawfully wedded wife? do you promise to love, honor, cherish and protect her, forsaking all others, and holding only unto her forevermore?"

a grin spread across chase's face as he spoke, "i do."

"kathryn claire, do you take chase to be your lawfully wedded husband? do you promise to love, honor, cherish and protect him, forsaking all others, and holding only unto him forevermore."

"i do." kathryn claire answered, her eyes never leaving chase's. his heart soared, this was a done deal -- just a few more formalities.

"now for the rings," the minister reached over, taking the rings from ryan. he handed the thin rose gold band to chase.

"repeat after me." the man instructed chase. chase nodded, shifting — a little impatient. he was ready for the ceremony to be over so he could kiss kathryn claire and hear those important words.

"i give you this ring. wear it as a reminder of my love, commitment and devotion for you. as this ring has no end, my love is also forever." chase repeated the words, carefully slipping the ring onto kathryn claire's finger.

kathryn claire repeated the same phrase, slipping a matching ring onto chase's finger. she squeezed chase's hands excitedly as the minister concluded the ceremony.

"by the power vested in me by the great state of georgia, it is my honor to declare you husband and wife. you may kiss the bride."

cheers rang out as chase stepped forward, pulling kathryn claire into a kiss. they stayed for a moment until their wide grins made the kiss impossible. chase wrapped an arm around her waist as they turned to their family and friends, their smiles matching they're own.

"it is my honor to introduce to you for the first time mr. and mrs. elliott."

chase released kathryn claire, grabbing her hand as they walked down the aisle, past everybody they loved, on their way to start a new life as a married couple.

against all of the odds, all of the things that could have torn them apart, kathryn claire and chase had made it. they had preserved and were rewarded with a happily ever after.