xxii.

chase pulled on his helmet, trying to calm his anxious energy. he tried to remember ryan's words of encouragement, he was desperately trying to focus.

he climbed into his car, strapping himself in. it was just two laps. he reminded himself. you can do this. he let out a shaky breath as alan approached the car.

"let's get it," alan told chase as he put up the window net. "focus, chase."

chase nodded, flipping the switches on his dash -- his engine rumbling to life underneath him. he gripped the steering wheel as he waited for the official to signal that it was time for him to begin his lap.

you can do this. just clear your mind and focus. chase instructed himself. all he had to do was get through two laps and carry enough speed to not qualify last. he could do that in his sleep, deep down he knew that.

the official signaled that it was chase's turn to take the track. he let out a shaky breath, flipping his visor down.

you can do this. he reminded himself as his car rolled down pit road, onto the apron. his car gained speed as he drifted up onto the track. he loved this track, he knew exactly what lines he needed to hit to make this run worthwhile.

as his car gained momentum and picked up speed, chase felt his worries melting away as his brain clicked into racing mode. relief washed over his body when it happened because he knew he was going to be alright.

"alright buddy," his spotter buzzed in his ears. "pedal to the metal, you've got this. stay away from the wall."

chase chuckled a little, "10-4."

he gripped his steering wheel a little tighter as he crossed the start/finish line, his time starting.

chase dove to the bottom of the track, keeping his car steady through the entrance of turn one. on the exit he felt his car gliding up a little so he let the wheel slip through his fingers a little before pulling it back down to the apron. with every inch his car traveled, chase gained a little more confidence -- leaving what had happened last week further and further in his rearview mirror.

he made sure to hit his marks, never really closing the throttle. he felt like he was flying. like he had complete control of his car. he had no idea what changes they had made to this car but excitement had replaced his nervousness. he lived for cars that handled like this, there was nothing better.

when he flew past the start/finish line again, his spotter was in his ear again. "that was a bad fast lap. good job chase."

"knew you could do it," alan agreed. "bring it on in and let's see if we got the pole."

"was it really that good?" chase asked. he hadn't really considered that he'd be fast enough for the pole.

"it was phenomenal," alan told him as chase drove towards the garage area. "i'd be shocked if you didn't end up on pole."

"i'll be damned," chase chuckled as he pulled his car into his garage stall. he quickly unhooked himself, tugging his helmet off. as he pulled down his window net, he couldn't help but grin from the pride he was feeling.

as soon as chase climbed out of the car, he scanned the garage for kathryn claire. his eyes were met with a beaming kathryn claire and chase knew that he had to kiss her. he didn't even care who would see.

"that was quite a lap." kathryn claire told him as he approached her. "i'm proud of you."

chase swept her up in his arms, pressing a kiss to her lips. after a moment he pulled away, "i couldn't do it without you. let's go out tonight, just us and celebrate... even if i don't end up on pole."

kathryn claire's hazel eyes sparkled, "i'd love that."

◢◤◢◤◢◤◢◤◢◤◢◤◢◤

early update because chase won! there are 3 chapters + a bonus chapter left in this story!