xx.

kathryn claire stirred next to chase. he couldn't help but admire her beauty -- the long lashes that rested on her cheeks, the slope of his nose and the way her lips laid in a small pout. his heart swelled with a love that he had never felt before.

"watching me sleep is kind of creepy." kathryn claire's eyes opened, a small smile on her lips. "i'm just saying."

chase leaned over, pressing a kiss to her lips. "i can't help that you're just so damn cute when you're sleeping."

kathryn claire's cheeks tinted pink, "shut up. i am not." she playfully shoved chase's chest away from her. "i'm going back to bed." she pulled her blanket up to her neck, turning away from chase.

chase grabbed kathryn claire's hips, turning her back towards him. he hovered over her for a moment before dipping down to press another kiss on her lips. he pulled back with a smile.

"what was that for?" kathryn claire asked, a hint of defiance in her voice.

chase's smile widened a little at kathryn claire's question. "can't i just kiss my g-" chase stopped himself as a realization had dawned on him. he had never actually asked her to be his girlfriend. shit.

"can't i just kiss you for no good reason?" chase recovered, his mind racing. he bit his lip to keep him from blurting the question out to her. no, chase knew he wanted it to be special and memorable.

his mind desperately tried to search for an idea that would be worthy of the occasion but he came up empty. he knew there was one person that could help him, that would know exactly what to do.

"i need to make a phone call." chase told kathryn claire, rolling off the bed as he grabbed his phone.

"okay." kathryn claire closed her eyes again, nestling under the blankets. "i'll be here."

chase unlocked his phone as he stepped out of his motorhome. he found his mom's contact information, hitting the call button. he hoped that she wasn't busy or sleeping.

"is everything okay?" his mom didn't even bother to greet him, concern filled her voice.

"yeah? why wouldn't they be?" chase asked, a little confused by his mother's concern.

"you usually call your dad on race weekends, not me." she reminded him. "what's going on, sweetie?"

"this is probably going to sound lame but i realized that i never asked kathryn claire to be my girlfriend." chase chewed on his lip for a second before adding. "i want to make it memorable but i can't think of anything."

"i see." there was a pause, chase could practically hear the wheels turning in his mom's head. "i mean honestly chase, i don't think it matters what you do. i think what matters is what you say to her and the question itself. don't put too much pressure on yourself -- you aren't proposing."

"you're right." chase frowned a little. "i just want this to be something that she tells our kids about someday."

"you really love her, don't you?" his mother asked. "i have never heard you talk about having kids or anything like that."

"i do. i want it all with her -- the house, the kids, everything. i've never really thought about it but i do. she is amazing and smart and kind and beautiful. i have no idea why she loves me, mom but she does and i just want to give her everything. i want to do everything right, to treat her the way she deserves to be treated. so i don't want to just ask because i think she deserves a little more." he shrugged as his eyes drifted to the sky. "i probably sound really dumb right now."

"no, no." his mom reassured him. "you sound like a man who is head over heels in love."

"i am." chase agreed, running a hand through his hair. "so what should i do?"

"bring her some flowers, take her to a nice dinner. and then tell her everything you told me. i promise you that she will never forget that." his mom suggested.

"i think i can manage that." chase agreed. "thanks, mom."

"anytime. now focus on qualifying and stay away from those walls. they sure like to jump out and get you." his mom laughed at her joke. "i love you chase. i'm proud of you."

"i love you too, mom."