Chapter 16

"Meliorn!"
The princess voice revealed the anger that her face didn't.
The knight in question scurried from his spot by the huge oak door and knelt at the young women's feet.
"Yes Your Highness?" The seelie knight looked as if he were afraid the princess might decide to cut off his head next.
"Why are they here?" The princess hissed angrily as she jerked her head in the direction of the dumbfounded Shadowhunters.
"I'm sorry your highness. They insisted." The knight said slowly as if trying to savor his remaining time.
Clary just scoffed. She turned on her heel and stalked back to her throne, green dress billowing behind her.
As soon as she was seated on the looming Ivory throne the frightened knight stood, gave a bow to the Queen and scurried back to his position.
"Come forward Shadowhunters, if it was urgent before it must still be." The Queen beckoned with a sickly sweet voice before Clary could send them off.
The Shadowhunters cautiously made there way towards the two thrones for the second time that day.
"We apologize for the rudeness but-" Jace started to say but the loud bang of the throne room doors slamed open interrupted him.
The already irritated princess threw her hands up in exasperation and slumped back as the guards positioned around the room reached for their weapons.
As the intruder entered the throne room and neared the monarchs the knights closed in to form a protective ring around The Queen and The Princess, with their spears leveled in the direction of the intruder's chest.
As he proceeded into the room a few guards pulled the shadowhunters out of his way and into the shadows.
Jace temporarily struggled against the faerie guards as he observed the soldier-like way the man walked.
As the man stalked further into the throne room his salt-white hair caught the light and reflected it so brilliantly it was like looking at the sun.
His hard set face softened as he caught sight of the women on the left.
His handsome face full of sharp lines smoothed into a dashingly soft face.
"Let him through and stand down." The Queen barked harshly at the knights that seemed ready to attack the man.
The soliders looked hesitant but they slowly made there way back to the perimeter of the room at a sharp glare from both monarchs.
As the guards retreated away from the monarchs Jace nodded to Alec, who pushed Izzy behind him.
Jace unsheathed his sword and just as he was about to advance towards the intruder a seelie guard caught his shoulder in a tight grip and dragged his back into the shadows lining the walls.
The man wore traditional black shadowhunting gear but no weapons were visible in any of the sheaths on his body.
The room was deathly silent, except for the echoing of the man's boots on the marble floor, it seemed like no living soul dared to breath in fear of breaking the pressing silence.
As he reached the thrones he inclined his white head to The Queen, who smiled in recognition, before falling to his knees before The Princess.
"Why are you here, Jonathan?" Clary sighed almost carelessly but her face betrayed her true emotions.
The Shadowhunter looked up in recognition as Clary stated his name to the throne room.
It seemed like everyone was holding their breath, waiting for Jonathan to say something.
"Clarissa, my love, please come home to me." Jonathan begged as he stared at the Princess. The breath that everyone had been holding wooshed out in suprise, no-one had been expecting the all mighty Jonathan Morgenstern to beg.
As Clary met his eyes she was almost unable to contain her gasp.
Jonathan looked like he hadn't slept since Clary had ran out of the institute.
His eyes were bloodshot and his face was weighed down by drowsiness.
Large black circles loomed under his eyes making him look almost like a raccoon.
"Why should I? Here i am free to make my own choices." The Princess stated and Jonathan knew it was truth.
"Please Clarissa. I'm sorry, i was wrong to turn that around on you like that. I swear on my mother that I will let you make your own choices but I need you. Please come home." He finished in a whisper as tears dripped off his face and onto the pristine marble floor.
Clary sat frozen on her ivory throne, mouth slightly parted in shock.
The whole room seemed frozen along with her. Until finally she took a deep breath and pressed her lips into a thin line.
What if he's lieing to you?
A voice in the back of her head chimed, just as she was about to respond.
Clary took a deep breath and ignored the voice that had become somewhat familiar.
"I trust you Jonathan, I just needed some time. I came here to get a breath of fresh air. I will come home with you but I feel entitled to warn you that if anything like this should ever happen again i will not come back as easily." Clary warmed in a gentle, but firm voice as Jonathan looked up into her eyes, memorizing blue-green meeting endless black tunnels.
Jonathan slowly clamored to his feet and held out his hand to the smiling princess.
Clary turned to face her mother who nodded, telling her to go.
Clary stepped off her throne and reached for Jonathan's hand.
"Clary! Wait, please come back home to us." Jace pleaded as he threw off the guard's iron-like grip on his shoulder.
Clary just turned to face Jace and smiled sadly.
"I'm sorry, i really am. But you guys hurt me a lot and I can't come back amd just pretend like none of that ever happened. Please, go home." Clary finished and placed her hand in Jonathan's.
She flashed The Shadowhunters a small smile before Jonathan pulled Clary close to his chest and the couple disappeared in a brilliant flash of gold.