Chapter 25

"This final push will be what wins us the war. We will finally be able to stop fighting and live the life we want to without the Clave to hold us back." Jonathan lectured the endarkend soldiers as he drew his sword. His white hair shone in the dark, reminding Clary of a glowing wig that she had seen on a boy in pandemonium.
The large mass of endarkened soldiers cheered and drew their swords pointing them towards the dark sky.
The warrior's battle cry was followed by a loud crash of thunder as rain began to fall from the sky and Clary couldn't help but cheer with them. She had finally found somewhere that she was respected. Here she was Clarissa Morgenstern, Queen of the new world. In Idris she was Clary Fairchild, the girl who wasn't raised as a shadow hunter and always needed to be protected.
Jonathan laughed as the demonic shadow hunters began to creep across the borders and into Idris. The wards had been discretely taken down ages ago allowing many of Jonathan's men to sneak across the border and gather information.
The Clave wouldn't expect it. They expected his to wait to see if they would accept his proposal but Jonathan knew that they would never. They were too stubborn. So while they were all distracted with their Clave meeting Jonathan would kill anyone not at the meeting and then surround the building.
It was the perfect plan. All the institutes had fled to Idris after Jonathan attacked Berlin and France. They were afraid and Jonathan loved it. He had everything he wanted, Clary and the world. And he could help but think 'I told you so.'
"Come Jonathan we have to follow them." Clary said from his right side as she slipped her hand into his. Jonathan smiled gently at her and they strode through Idris's wards.
As they walked slowly down the winding, cobblestone streets Clary imagined that, if the city around them hadn't been filled with chaos and panic, her and Jonathan could have been mistaken for a young couple on a date.
"Let's go help Clary." Jonathan leaned in and whispered into her ear, making her shiver as his warm breath tickled her cold skin. Clary smiled at him and unsheathed the sword that hung at her left hip. Clary flashed Jonathan a malicious smile and darted away from him and down the chaos-filled streets.
She heard Jonathan's deep laughter as she turned and stuck her tongue out at him. As she turned right at an intersection leading to a more residential area of Idris she tried to stop her momentum but she was going to fast. Clary's eyes widened as they focused on the large creature in front of her. It was utterly hideous.
It was over 8 feet tall with black flakey skin. It's eyes were a deep crimson without a pupil and a gaping hole with several rows of razor sharp teeth instead of a mouth. It had four arms, with paws covered in spikes that glinted in the moonlight. Clary raised her sword to try to defend herself but she was too slow.
The demon roared and swiped a paw covered with spikes at her and she went flying into the side of a clothing shop. For a few seconds she was flying, then her body was wilting under the intense pain, but she didn't cry out. Clary bit her lip, surely drawing blood, but she had learned that a true shadow hunter doesn't express pain.
She tried to push herself to her feet but the ringing on her head and the sharp pain in her limbs prevented it. Clary lay helplessly on the cobblestone road as the creature advanced towards her. She fumbled for her sword as the demon looked over her. The demons lips pulled back in a snarl and it's mouth opened as it leaned down to tear Clary apart.
Clary closed her eyes and prayed to Raziel for a quick ending but it never came. She cautiously opened one eye to see a curved blade sticking out from the demons chest. The demon roared weakly before its body vanished back to its home dimension.
Jonathan dropped his sword before darting  over to Clary.
"Are you okay? Clary? Talk to me!" He exclaimed as he shook her shoulders roughly, trying to elicit a response. Clary smiled at him before her eyes rolled into the back of her head.
"God damn it!" Jonathan cursed as he pulled her into his arms. He stood up carrying Clary easily. He grabbed his sword with his free hand before creating a portal and stepping through it.
The portal spit him out in Clary's bedroom and he carefully set her limp body on the messy sheets.
"Magnus!" He roared before stepping out of Clary's bedroom and into the hallway. He stalked furiously down the hallway and into the  wing of the manor that the soldiers stayed in.
The warlock threw open his bedroom door and raced down the hallway, Alec on his heels. They almost ran into Jonathan as he turned into their hallway.
Magnus staggered away from Jonathan as soon as he saw his furious expression. Alec placed a hand on Magnus's shoulder.
"You are needed, warlock." Was all Jonathan said before spinning on his heel and marching back down the hall, without making sure they were following. Alec and Magnus glanced cautiously at each other before scrambling after him.