12 - Getting heated

Today was the party to celebrate midyear exams. It was going to be in the frat house of the fraternity group that Mest belonged to. It was close by so we didn't need to rush.

I put on a red skirt and a white, strapless top. The other girls were wearing nice party outfits as well. When we were all ready, we met the boys outside and walked to the frat house.

"You excited?" Jellal asked as he snaked an arm around my waist.

"A bit. I'm also nervous. I hope nothing bad happens," I replied.

"It's just a party. What could go wrong?" Natsu said from the other side of me.

"Don't jinx it."

"Nothing bad is going to happen." Natsu turned around to walk backwards as he faced me. "It's gonna be totally awesome."

Natsu pumped a fist in the air. Then, as he was stupidly walking backwards, he tripped on a rock and fell backwards. He landed on his bum and we all winced as it looked painful. Natsu jumped up, rubbing his butt.

"I'm fine, I'm fine. Nothing happened," he forced a smile.

We all just stared at him before laughing. That made me feel slightly better. I relaxed into Jellal and wrapped my arm around his waist.

When we reached the frat house, I was shocked. It was a big, double-storey house with a grassy yard out the front that was covered in rubbish and red cups. People mingled about on the lawn in very revealing clothes. Music blasted from inside the building and bright lights flashed from it as well.

The nervousness creeped back into me. What if I did something embarrassing? What if everyone hated me? I closed my eyes, trying to block out the loud sounds. A tug on my hand made me open my eyes again. Jellal pulled me gently and gave me a reassuring smile.

"It'll be fun," Jellal convinced me.

"I know." I bit my lip worriedly. "I just have a bad feeling. I feel like something's going to happen."

"I'm sure it'll be alright."

I nodded, squeezing Jellal's hand. We walked after our friends who were a few feet ahead. Passing drunk college students, we entered the huge house. The loud music hit me like an elephant. It was some sort of electronic dance music that people bopped along to. There was students everywhere doing other things as well, such as making out, talking, or playing beer pong.

We weaved through the crowd and stopped at a more spacious area in the living room. Strangers walked by with identical red cups in their hands.

"So, what do we do now?" Levy asked us.

We all shrugged in response, not sure how to approach a frat party.

Before it got anymore awkward, Mest appeared in the room. He brightened when he saw me and gave me a hug.

"Erza! I'm so glad you came!" he said.

"Yeah. It's nice to see you too," I replied.

Mest took a step back to greet all my other friends, giving Jellal a civilised handshake.

"Have you seen the whole house yet?" Mest asked me.

"No."

"Come on. I'll give you all a tour."

With nothing better to do, we followed my friend through the big house. There was a cool games room in the basement with a pool table, a pinball machine and a huge TV. People lounged about on beanbags playing the games and video games in the room. We then explored the kitchen, dance room and other rooms on the middle floor. Upstairs held several bedrooms. In the backyard, there was a big pool surrounded by chairs. Students splashed about in the pool and hung about around it.