Regret

AU
Itachi - 22
Sakura - 18

•••

When I took the mission, I thought I would finish the mission regretting nothing but I guess I was wrong. I took the mission, knowing it would be my last but I didn't care because I would be saving the village and most importantly, Sasuke.

The mission I took would be seen by any who understood the circumstances as selfless but as I lived after the mission, all I felt was a deep disgust for myself. My nights where filled with sleeplessness. All I could see when I closed my eyes where all the people I killed. Over and over again, I would see their faces as I killed each and everyone.

With the increasing lack of sleep and this unknown disease that I seemed to be cursed with, my health has started to rapidly decrease. Every day, it got harder and harder to get up in the morning. My body ached every single day, it felt like I was being pulled down by invisible weights. But I kept fighting because I knew, Sasuke was the only one that could kill me.

I wound wake up everyday and complete that same old missions for the Akatsuki. I was always partners up with Kisame. Kisame was not all bad, his only real flaw was his joy for fighting. Me, as a pacifist, I didn't enjoy that but he was a lot better than pretty much everyone else in the Akatsuki. Plus, he wasn't bad company. I do have to thank him for those moments on the missions that he distracted me from the world.

::

Things got a bit strange and unexpected when I went on a solo mission once. During my mission, I ran into a fellow pacifist. Might I add, a very layer back and brave pacifist. The whole situation was strange and unexpected. I remember that day so well. It really was a strangely great day, probably the best in my whole life. It was like a bright light in the darkness of the world, strangely enough.

On that day, as I was traveling through the trees, when my disease started to act up unexpectedly. I remember quickly jumping down from the trees and as I did, I couldn't hold back the cough that was itching at the back of my throat. Before I could get out my medication, I let out a violent cough that shook my whole body. It felt like it lasted forever as my lounges screamed for air.

Half way through the flare up I vegly remember having to lean against a near by tree to keep myself up right. When the coughing fit was over and I gained back some of my energy, I pried open my eyes. My eyes where as dull as always as I looked at the blood that was splattered on the ground and tree. It was more blood than usual, I noted.

I quickly pulled out a pill bottle, opened it and swallowed a white pill. The pill was supposed to suppress the flare ups but it could never cure the disease. After that, I pulled out a cloth and used it to wipe the blood of my face. I dropped it on the ground, seeing no need to keep it.

I rested for a little while but quickly continued on my way. I didn't go far when I felt a chakra signature not far from me. They seemed to be moving slowly and not in a rush to get anywhere. However, the chakra was strong and would pose a bit of a challenge if they decide to attack.

Before I even realized it, the chakra signature appeared just a few meters in front of my in a matter of seconds. The speed was impression but could be quite inconvenient for me trying to avoid a fight.

I looked at the person with my always dull eyes and the first thing that caught my eyes was the girls bright pink hair and, of course, her confident smirk. First off, not many people had bright pink hair, especially high ranking shinobi and second, not many could stand in my presence with a confident, care free smirk.

She was wearing a red sleeveless shirt that fit perfectly to her body and basic  black shinobi pants and shoes. All she had on her was a simple kunai holder placed on her thigh and a medical bag at her hip. On her forehead was the leaf headband and I let out a quiet sigh.