Chapter 2

Loki's POV:

When I finally came to, I felt incredibly warm. Looking around me, I noticed the bed I was in. It had small walls on three sides and an opening in the front. It was very...lush. I tried to get up, but noticed I could not move my leg.

My body - while still in the form of this beast - was wrapped in bandages, and there were stints around my leg, keeping it in place. I felt pain, but it wasn't as severe as it was. Did that woman actually do what she said she would?

Looking around, I see the woman walking around the kitchen, holding a cup in her hands. She got out of the kitchen and looked outside. She had a sad look on her face. It made me wonder who had made her sad. Because for once, it wasn't because of me.

She finally looks over and sees me awake, and a smile breaks out on her face. She genuinely seemed happy to see me moving. If only she knew this was not my real form. I think humorously, dying to know what her reaction would be if I turned back to my normal self.

Maybe I should pull the same trick I did on Thor. Although, as a mortal, I don't think she would survive a stab wound like Thor could. Although it would still be fun to change right in front of her to see how she screamed.

"It's good to see you awake, Piddles. I was worried." she says, sitting on the ground next to me. Irritation at the false name she has given me makes me want to attack her, but the object on my leg prevents me from doing so.

"You, little guy, are a really tough fella. I don't know who or what hurt you, but you are lucky to be alive." she says, sitting the cup down on the floor before reaching over and picking me up. Of course I'm tough, I'm a god.

I feel helpless as she holds me to her. She gently strokes the fur on my back, and it is irritatingly calming. It must be something beasts like this like.

"For a labrador puppy, though, you have some really unique eyes." she says as she looks at my face and I wish I could roll my eyes.

It's because they are eyes of a god, you fool.

"But really, they are beautiful."

Oh, well thank you human. First thing you've said that I can really agree with.

Whatever this 'puppy' creature was, it was disturbingly attached to humans from what I could tell. Humans loved these puppies, and their defenses were down when they were around them. If Thanos had wanted to invade earth and kill everyone, he and his army could take the forms of these puppies and kill everyone.

"I'll check on your bandages after a day or two. Your leg was severely messed up, and it will take a long time to heal." she murmurs and I huff.

Lovely.

"You're a sassy puppy," she laughs before setting me down. Sadly, I was already becoming fatigued. Whatever was ailing my recovery, it was really starting to get on my nerves. I've never not been able to heal.

Either way, it seemed like this woman was going to be very useful to me.

"You know, I haven't had a dog since my family died." she whispers as she stands up, the cup in her hand. Here she goes again with this family business. What happened?

"I mean, I've never been back to New York either, for that matter." she laughs and a bad sensation fills my bones.

"But who knows. Maybe you'll change my life for the better, Piddles." she says with a smile and I huff in irritation. The main reason I wanted to turn back to myself was just so I could tell her my real name, because 'Piddles' is degrading.

Other than that, I really doubted her life would be better with me. But that wasn't for her to know. She'll be heartbroken one day when I am fully healed and I leave this place, but that's no matter. She's played her part.