Chapter 3

Lucy's POV:

Piddles slept through the night without any issues. I'm so glad he didn't try to jump. After I woke up and took him outside, I made sure he got his breakfast and water. He still seemed grumpy going outside, but he would get used to it. Amazingly for a puppy, he's had no accidents inside so far.

A knock at the door breaks me from my thoughts and I go over to answer the door. It's Mrs. Taylor, and she has her cat inside a kennel.

"Come in, Mrs. Taylor." I welcome, and she steps inside, heading straight to the operating room. You know you have a regular when you do not have to guide them or give them directions. She sets the kennel down on the table before rejoining me in the living room.

"How have you been, dear?" she asks and gives me a hug, which I return.

"Good, very good actually. I rescued a puppy yesterday." I say and gesture to Piddles, who is eyeing Mrs. Taylor suspiciously. Aww, he was protective. He will make a good guard dog when he grows up.

"Oh, he's so precious! What happened to him?" she asks and I shrug, walking over to check up on him.

"I'm not sure. I found him in the park. He was messed up really bad. I don't know if he was abandoned, abused, or what. But now he has a home and a new family. His name is Piddles." I say and Piddles tilts his head to the side.

"What a cute name! You're incredibly sweet, Lucy. You always have everybody's best interest at heart. He's lucky to have you for a family." she says and I smile.

"How are you handling having another pet?" she asks curiously and I shrug.

"I mean, I really enjoy it. I'm actually not alone. I don't think I would've ever gotten another pet on my own, so finding him - while under bad circumstances - was a blessing." I look at Piddles and smile. He sits back on his hind legs and looks down.

"He's very shy at first." I joke before we go over to the operating room.

"So, what seems to be the issue?" I ask, taking her cat out of the kennel. Since she knows me, the cat rubs against me kindly and I stroke her back.

"Ruby got out of the house again to chase a bird. She climbed up a tree and tried to jump. Of course she landed on her feet, but since then, she's been limping and meowing like she's in pain." Mrs. Taylor explains and I nod.

"She may have sprained something in her foot. I'll check it out." I say, putting on a pair of gloves before examining Ruby's foot.

Loki's POV:

I could see her working on the other animal from where I sat. She looked incredibly focused and intelligent as she maneuvered her way through her different tools, somehow knowing what each one would do. From what I could hear, this creature did something to her paw.

She finished shortly, and the animal had her paw wrapped kind of like mine, but the extensive stints were not placed on her like they were me. Apparently that meant I was in much worse shape.

Honestly changing back into myself yesterday took a lot out of me. I'm still very weak. The food I was being fed was doing nothing to help me regain strength. But whatever medicine she snuck into my food seemed to be helping, because I was not in a lot of pain at the moment.

However, if I went outside to relieve myself, I got more than just puppy food, and that helped. Hopefully that can let me regain my strength soon, because if I change back into my usual self, I may not be able to go back into this puppy form for a little while.

Still, I need to remain hidden. I have no idea what happened to Thor, or Thanos. I could only hope my blockhead of a brother figured something out. But that is not my fight anymore. I've been running from Thanos for so long, and I don't ever want him to find me again.