Chapter 20

So umm...this song really fits the chapter. Enjoy!

Loki's POV:

After a short little introduction of her own, Lucy started her speech confidently. She sounded strong and sure of herself, and she had done well to remember majority of her speech, so her eye contact was perfect. She began to flow into her presentation, clicking on the device in her hands and the pictures on the screen changed.

I smile at her. She's doing such a marvelous job. Her eyes find mine and she returns the smile, continuing her flawless speech.

"If you look at the graphic above, you can see how the medicines we use today are not providing the results they should be. Also included is a percentage of how successful surgeries are on animals concerning incisions on the abdomen, and they are lower than what many veterinarians consider acceptable. I believe our medicine - and our surgeries - have not been advanced enough..." I disengage from her speech as I look around, seeing everybody captivated by her.

There was not one person in the room not hanging on her every word. Important veterinary people she pointed out to me earlier are taking notes, seeming to thoroughly enjoy what she is proposing, and one even seems to be extremely impressed with the amount of research Lucy has done and how detailed her notes are. He's writing a lot down.

It makes me smile. She's tried so hard to make a name for herself in her life. And she's done it.

I stare up at her, watching her proudly as she smoothly flows through her presentation, and she makes it through almost all of it without making a mistake. She stumbles once over her words and quickly clears her throat, apologizing and moving on without missing a beat. For someone who says she was so incredibly scared to present, she is doing so like an expert.

I can tell she's near the end of her speech. She's almost done it. A smile beams across my face as she confidently smiles, on her last slide.

My eyes shift behind her and my smile slowly fades away into confusion. Someone was coming up on stage. Fear strikes my heart as I recognize Thanos's lackey as he saunters up behind Lucy and my eyes widen. 

"NO!"

I start running up towards the stage, pushing people out of the way and getting very ugly looks as I shove them to the ground.

Lucy's smile turns into one of shock and pain, and my heart thumps loudly in my chest as people begin screeching around me.

The beast shoved his sword through Lucy's back, and the tip of it jutted from her stomach.

"LUCY!"

I teleport to the beast and rip his head from his body without a thought. Lucy falls to the ground and I feel myself start to panic. I see a frightened human on the side of the stage and point at them.

"Call some sort of medical professional or something, idiot! Don't just stand there!" I order, and my words startle the man out of his daze. He frantically gets out his phone and dials some sort of number.

I rush over to Lucy and kneel beside her, trying my best not to panic.

"L-Loki..." she stammers and I shush her.

"Don't say a word. You're going to be fine. I need to take this out of you, okay? It's going to hurt. I can do some healing on you." I say frantically and she weakly nods her head.

I grab the back of the sword and pull it out as gently as I can. Lucy wails and I feel tears mist my eyes. Blood, her blood, covers my hands and I immediately start trying to heal her. My hands were so shaky. I was nearly beside myself with fear.