CHAPTER 5

Severus = Italics

Sal = Bold not italic

"..." means a pause or silence, depending on the context.

31 October, 1998

Aaah, it's finally Halloween! Are you excited? I know I am.

...

*after a few hours*

No, I am not. I hate Halloween.

You take your sweet ass time to reply Sev, it can be quite annoying you know! And what?! How could you hate Halloween? Who even hates Halloween?

Me! And behave yourself, you are speaking to your ...

...

To someone older than you.

Well, it is your fault for not telling me your age. Btw, how old ARE you?

What's "btw"?

It is short for "by the way".

Then why don't you just write "by the way" instead of all these silly shortcuts.

Sue me! And don't avert my question young man, how old are you?!

Does it matter?

No, it doesn't. Still, it is nice to know more about the person I am speaking with. You know more about me than I do you.

That's fair. Well, I am 38.

Huh... that is not THAT old. I thought you are sixty or something...

I am twenty years older than you, how is that not old!

What?! How did you know my age?

You graduated a year ago so you must be 18 now. It is not hard to do the math really.

Oh... yea I forgot I told you that. We have been speaking for four days now, can you believe it?!

Yes, it has been quite interesting.

10 November, 1998

Good morning Sal.

...

*a few hours later*

Oh hey Sev! Sorry, I sleep like a horse. You are up early though.

I always get up at six in the morning. It is eleven in the afternoon now, how were you still sleeping all that time?

I have nothing to do so why would I get up early?

I see. Tell me Sal, do you live by yourself? Where are your parents? You mentioned they are Egyptian so are they living in Egypt or America?

I live here by myself, they are back in the states. But even when I was in the US, my communication with them was limited if none at all.

May I ask why?

Well, they didn't take the news of me being a witch very well. Everything was fine until I turned eleven and got my letter from Ilvermorny. Of course, I was beside myself with joy when I got the letter but my family weren't. They are muggles and don't really understand the concept of magic. Over the course of a few years, they kept on calling me a freak until one day, when things escalated, I ran away from home and stayed in Ilvermorny ever since.

I am sorry to hear that, it must have been terrible. When did you decide to leave them?

When I was fourteen. Since then, I learnt to leave everything behind me.

Even your family?

...

Yes. I hate them.

...

...

Alright, now your turn! Secret for a secret. Tell me about your life, your family.

Well, my father was a muggle and my mother was a witch. He didn't like that we were magical either and made that very clear every time he saw me or my mother. He was an alcoholic pig, unemployed and did nothing in his life except beat the living shit out of me and my mother.

One day, he collapsed on the kitchen floor. Later on, my mother told me he died of liver cancer, probably from all the alcohol he was consuming. Served him well, he won't be missed.

Oh, I am very sorry Sev.

It's alright, it has been twenty years. I was 18 years old when he died.

Can I ask what happened to your mother?

She died a year later from malnutrition. The pig left us with no money and the medical bills were piling up. I got back home one night and found her dead.

Oh God, that must have been awful.

It was.