CHAPTER 10

Severus = Italic

Sal = bold not italic

"..." means a pause or silence, depending on the context.

2 January, 1999

I am doing fine Minerva, how about you? Regarding my student Salma, I spoke with her yesterday and it appears that she is going through an urgent situation at the moment and cannot attend the interview today.

However, she is very keen on getting hired as a Potions Master and is respectfully requesting to be given more time until she sorts out the sudden conundrum.

Minerva, I completely understand your frustration this has all been but the girl deserves a chance. You will have to take my word for it and trust me.

Sincerely,

Severus-

****

*a few hours after Severus sends the letter*

Sal, please just respond to me. I wrote to the headmistress to give you some time to sort everything out since you are suddenly abandoning your responsibilities.

I won't repeat myself again, that was your dream job that you are so easily walking away from.

...

*blood droplets drops and gets absorbed by the pages*

SAL!

...

Are, are you hurting yourself?

Oh God, please don't tell me that you are. Just talk to me, what did I do wrong? What did I say that made you not want to talk to me?

I... I was always horrible at reading social cues. I would often speak without thinking and my words would hurt the other person. I never cared for anyone's feeling but... I care about you.

Please help me understand, what did I do wrong? If I said anything that hurt you then I am extremely sorry, from the bottom of my heart. But please, please don't hurt yourself because of a cold worthless human like me.

*a few tear droplets drops and gets absorbed by the pages*

Oh no, please don't cry.

You didn't do anything wrong, it is the exact opposite.

Sal, finally! Are you alright dear? Why was there blood?

Never mind that. I haven't done that in months and it is the first time I lose my self-control.

Why Sal?! Was it because of me? Did I upset you?

No, not at all. Don't worry, I will go to my job interview tomorrow. If you spoke highly of me to the headmistress then I will surely not let you down. Thank you once again for everything.

You are welcome, you deserve much more.

But I am not letting you off the hook that easily Sal. Why were you ignoring me and why did you hurt yourself? And this time, you will have to answer me.

...

Professor, please...

It is Severus.

And no, you have to tell me! You used to tell me everything, this is no different. I need to know what I did wrong to push you away from me.

No, you didn't, I promise.

Uh... I... when I found out that you are still alive, I couldn't contain myself from happiness but also, jealousy. This will sound incredibly dumb...

Your feelings are not dumb, stop saying that!

Well, it is. I... I remembered when you told me about that girl you... love. Her name is Lily Evans right?

Yes.

So that part of Rita's story was true then?

Yes, it was.

I had a feeling it might be and... I guess that made me feel extremely jealous of her. She beat me to you. She stole your heart and you will never forget her. You said the reason you turned a spy was because of her. The reason you put your life on the line was her.

I realized... how can I compete with her? I can never compete with a love as strong as that.

...

...

Why are you silent Sir?

*a few minutes later*

I want to see you Sal.

Uh, why?

This whole story cannot just be told in writing, I need you to see my face as I say it. I also need to see how you will respond to it. Where are you?

You uh... you will never believe me if I told you.

I will believe you.

...

...

I am living in the house next to you.